Question Advice on Replacing Dell Inspiron 7567 Motherboard

Jun 5, 2019
My PC suddenly shuts down while playing Skyrim, around 7:00-8:00, and refuses to turn on. I don't mean simply 'the screen doesn't turn on' or 'bluescreen', or a few beeps and whirls THEN shutting off again, I mean full-on 'will not turn on'. I press the ON button, the ON button lights up, but my keyboard does not, it doesn't make any sound, and the screen stays black. I did a bit of digging(and took it to BestBuy), and I was told 'it's probably the motherboard'. So now I'm trying to figure out my options. Let me list what I'm trying to accomplish: Getting a functional laptop, keeping my data, and being able to play my games. I have to do this as cheaply as possible, as I am in Arizona state care(DCS's care, Department of Child safety), and they cannot afford to put in enough money to help me on this since they have other children to worry about. I cannot settle for 'you can just upload your data to another PC', as I have no other, and cannot afford a new one.

Jun 5, 2019
My PC suddenly shuts down while playing Skyrim, around 7:00-8:00, and refuses to turn on. I don't mean simply 'the screen doesn't turn on' or 'bluescreen', or a few beeps and whirls THEN shutting off again, I mean full-on 'will not turn on'. I press the ON button, the ON button lights up, but my keyboard does not, it doesn't make any sound, and the screen stays black. I did a bit of digging(and took it to BestBuy), and I was told 'it's probably the motherboard'. So now I'm trying to figure out my options. Let me list what I'm trying to accomplish: Getting a functional laptop, keeping my data, and being able to play my games. I have to do this as cheaply as possible, as I am in Arizona state care(DCS's care, Department of Child safety), and they cannot afford to put in enough money to help me on this since they have other children to worry about. I cannot settle for 'you can just upload your data to another PC', as I have no other, and cannot afford a new one.

Jun 5, 2019
Not very long, but I didn't have an appointment and couldn't afford paying for a full diagnostic. He didn't ask for us to pay, but he did say that the signs did point to the mother board.

Well it's worth determining if there may be another cause. The motherboard itself, especially on a gaming laptop, can be quite expensive. If you have any small tools around and if this model is what I'm seeing on a google search, it looks like one screw on the bottom secures a panel that slides off to reveal the insides. Once you get it open, remove the battery before going any further! A first attempt may simply be to re-seat the battery. Next, with the battery out, remove and re-seat all memory sticks and try to boot again. Try with one stick at a time to rule out a bad stick (removing the battery between each attempt!). An attempt can be made to reset the BIOS: make sure the battery is out and locate a smaller coin cell battery, and remove that by pressing gently on it's retention lever. Leave it off and un-powered for a few minutes and then try to re-start. If it still won't start, carefully remove all other internal connections (these cables can be very delicate, take care not to break something). Try to locate another component at fault (even the keyboard can cause issues starting up). This is as far as you can go without replacement parts, so the next attempt can be a different charger.

The model of the board is typically under the RAM slots in a laptop; a Dell part number begins CN-0XXXXX-some more numbers. Usually the first five digits after the 0 or the first six including it are how a Dell part will be found (e.g., on ebay)

Yeah a charity organization "may" help, but i feel all they'd do is give you a working computer.

Because it's a laptop, even replacing the motherboard is extremely expensive, as they go from like $400-500, because the CPU and GPU are both soldered to the motherboard.

But...

First check if it's in warranty?
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/warranty

There are youtubers who fix electronic's who may be able to fix it for you or buy a replacement, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
^ A charity would almost certainly give him a used/refurbished laptop or pc but since he said he is in the care of child protective services and doesn't have access to any money that is probably his best option if the laptop isn't under warranty.

Jun 5, 2019
Thermal shutdown, it may revive itself after some "rest." Were u playing on-bed blocking vents?
Yeah a charity organization "may" help, but i feel all they'd do is give you a working computer.

Because it's a laptop, even replacing the motherboard is extremely expensive, as they go from like $400-500, because the CPU and GPU are both soldered to the motherboard.

But...

First check if it's in warranty?
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/warranty

There are youtubers who fix electronic's who may be able to fix it for you or buy a replacement, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup
My warranty expired a year ago. Charity probably won't see a gaming laptop as 'top priority' for me, and my Laptop WAS on my lap, but I don't think the vents were blocked(?). I've taken it apart- maybe it'll work if I put it back together? I also took a while to respond BECAUSE I was gutting it, and looking to see if I could take most of these parts and transfer it to another laptop, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromeb...ts=p_n_size_browse-bin:2423841011&s=pc&sr=1-3
The guy at BestBuy said motherboards don't really affect performance as much as tech companies would want you to think, but I don't know how far to take his word.

Oh- I'm also female. Not that it's important, but I guess people would want to call me by my proper gender pronoun. I'm also very disorganized, so that's why the quotes aren't in order(or if the information I give isn't in a helpful order either).

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 5, 2019
Sorry about the earlier gender assumption.
But I still think you should contact some of those charities. You never know what they may have until you ask.
I think I will. I'm not sure how far I can get without adult assistance, but I'm going to find out. Don't worry about the gender thing; it is more common to find males on websites like this anyways. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I haven't met many females who actually use PCs to the point of gaming and/or know about the hardware within this technology.

It wouldnt hurt to try those charities.
You might not be able to get a gaming laptop, but definitely something functional.

Loisrossman and other youtubers do offer mail ins, but shipping isnt cheap. Louis is in nyc, plenty far from arizona.

I would try the steps above to reseat ram, clear cnos, and reseat battery.
You could make sure its not dusty and the cooler is mounted.

Jun 5, 2019
It wouldnt hurt to try those charities.
You might not be able to get a gaming laptop, but definitely something functional.

Loisrossman and other youtubers do offer mail ins, but shipping isnt cheap. Louis is in nyc, plenty far from arizona.

I would try the steps above to reseat ram, clear cnos, and reseat battery.
You could make sure its not dusty and the cooler is mounted.
I'm hoping that it'll work once I put it back together. I won't pretend to know much about this- I have only a slight idea(as in I know the names of each component, and that I should be careful when disassembling it. But where it all goes back? No idea. Thank god for online manuals). Really, when the BestBuy guy told me it was probably the motherboard, it really hurt. I know they aren't cheap, and I have no idea how to replace it without charity or buying one for over 500. I've never been a big fan of asking people for free things.

Jun 5, 2019
Those tech charities tend to be pretty cool. I worked part time in a small pc shop when I was in college and we did a free tech class for under priveliged teens which was a lot of fun. We taught them to repair donated PC's and they got to keep the one they rebuilt.
Oh, I think I've heard of that. One of the adults that work with me spoke a bit about a class ran by a college. She said it's a week long, and would teach me how to build a PC. Could it be the same program?

My warranty expired a year ago. Charity probably won't see a gaming laptop as 'top priority' for me, and my Laptop WAS on my lap, but I don't think the vents were blocked(?). I've taken it apart- maybe it'll work if I put it back together? I also took a while to respond BECAUSE I was gutting it, and looking to see if I could take most of these parts and transfer it to another laptop, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-15-6-inch-Dual-Core-Refurbished/dp/B01MTKXQCZ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=laptop&qid=1559783475&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:2423841011&s=pc&sr=1-3
The guy at BestBuy said motherboards don't really affect performance as much as tech companies would want you to think, but I don't know how far to take his word.

Oh- I'm also female. Not that it's important, but I guess people would want to call me by my proper gender pronoun. I'm also very disorganized, so that's why the quotes aren't in order(or if the information I give isn't in a helpful order either).

The bit about motherboards and performance is true, though it doesn't apply to laptops because the CPU and (most of the time) graphics chip are soldered on. Older laptops often did have replaceable CPUs but that's been lost partly to save a bit of space. If you hadn't noted it by now laptop boards are specific to the model they're designed for and have no standard layout like a traditional desktop board.

I'm sorry I hand't thought of the charity approach but you're unfortunately also right that they most likely couldn't offer anything that approached the performance of that Dell gaming laptop. Good luck once it's back together, anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-15-6-inch-Dual-Core-Refurbished/dp/B01MTKXQCZ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=laptop&qid=1559783475&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:2423841011&s=pc&sr=1-3

You can't move laptop parts around to other systems without a lot of research as to what will work on what system. RAM and drive are pretty standard, rest are not. Even RAM can be an issue is you are putting high speed gaming RAM into a basic use system, it may not boot.

That is a fairly new system, only issue is cost here. You may be able to find a used laptop of the same model and move your drive into it.