Advice on replacing motherboard

Mixiko

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Here's the thing. I own a Acer Aspire M5811 (Core i7-860), and my motherboard broke two times. First on warranty regime, and now after the regime expired. Both times the computer wouldn't start, and i could hear a phan on maximum velocity.

This second time, not having warranty, i sent the computer trough the same store that i bought it from, to figure what the problem was (even tough i knew it was the mainboard again). They called me yesterday saying that they have to replace it and they want to charge me 203€ (£ 168) for it. Also they only offer me 3 months of warranty on the board.
I think that is to much money, and i've check the prices for mainboards on my local stores and the prices go from 40€ to 120€ (all Asus mainboards)

Here's the problem: I cannot find the exact motherboard used on my computer (i just remember it was Asus). And from the research i've made if you install a different motherboard on your pc, you have to re install windows, and that's the big issue, because there is data that i don't want to loose, and it seems to be no way to recover since the pc doesn't start up. Is there any way to recover it, since i'll problably will be installing a mainboard from the same brand?

Also if you could clear up this situation for me, I'm no computer expert, but i've learn the basic things you need to check when upgrading the mainboard. Such as the CPU compatibility ( and the Socket 1055 to 1050 wich besides the number of pins i don't understand what is the main win between them). I have the following possibilities :

MSI H81M-E33 sk 1150
ASUS H81M-E sk 1150
ASUS H81I-PLUS sk 1150
ASUS H87M-PLUS sk 1150
ASUS Z87-K sk 1150

ASROCK H61M-VG3 sk 1155
ASUS H61M-K sk 1155
ASUS B75M-PLUS - sk 1155
ASUS P8Z77-V LX sk 1155

Obviously by buying and doing it at home i'll problably save up 100€ and i would have 2 years of warranty on the board.

Advices please?

Solution
First you have to find out what socket you have, and everything I found says it is an 1156, not a 1155, or a 1150.
It has an H57 chip set.

It is possible but not guaranteed that if you get a similar board with the same chip set (H57). the old drive will boot.
I can confirm a sob story to Microsoft works, as I have heard many stories that it did.

If you want to save your data, the only sure way for sure, is buy another hard drive.
Install you operating system on that, and install your old drive as a backup. (if you don't have another computer or enclosure available).

After it is running, you can the delete windows off the second drive (old drive)
You need to take your hard drive out and hook it into another computer. Then you can back up the stuff you don't want to lose on a different drive. If you get the exact same motherboard you won't have to reinstall windows either, and if you do the Windows key should work that came with your computer anyway. If the motherboard is different you may need to buy a new copy of Windows as well since OEM keys are locked to the motherboard the OS is first installed on. In some cases you can call Microsoft and get them to release the key, but don't try the automated system to do so. Call the number for your country to talk to a real person from here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-gb

Tell them you are replacing your motherboard because of hardware failure and they "may" help you out. I've done this a few times over the last couple years and had no issues with my OEM copy of Windows 7. Although people always argue that this don't work, it has for me and a friend I had to do it for as well. Maybe I just got good luck with the customer service represenitives that I've dealt with here in Canada, I don't know. lol.

PS: Someone else will have to help you pick the motherboard because I don't have much experiance with small form factor motherboards. Sorry.

Yes, you have to re-install Windows after motherboard replacement.

You won't find an exact replacement because the the board was custom-made for Acer, and such boards are not available direct to the consumer, therefore it would be much safer to have new board sourced and fitted professionally.

You can put the hard drive into an external enclosure to get the data off it (using a working computer, of course).
I have to say I'm shocked at just how many computer owners don't seem to bother with backups - - what would you do if the hard drive had failed? (as it surely will one day).

millwright

Distinguished
First you have to find out what socket you have, and everything I found says it is an 1156, not a 1155, or a 1150.
It has an H57 chip set.

It is possible but not guaranteed that if you get a similar board with the same chip set (H57). the old drive will boot.
I can confirm a sob story to Microsoft works, as I have heard many stories that it did.

If you want to save your data, the only sure way for sure, is buy another hard drive.
Install you operating system on that, and install your old drive as a backup. (if you don't have another computer or enclosure available).

After it is running, you can the delete windows off the second drive (old drive)

Solution

Mixiko

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for the replies.

Just to mention (Philip Corcoran), i do own i external hard drive where i keep a copy of my personal stuff. But i'm afraid that for the last few months i may left some documents behind. It's just to be safe, i was planning to format windows after i recovered wherever was left.

It's that the motherboard broke 2 times in a year, i'm afraid that if they replace it with the same one it would happen again, but now without warranty and with 200 out of my pocket.

The law in my country states that any piece replaced has a 2 year warranty, but the company keeps saying it's only 3 months...

Mixiko

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

Well thanks alot for that! Actually now that you say that, makes alot of sense. If i replace for that exact same one would Windows still have the same issue?!

millwright

Distinguished
The exact same board would boot and run just like the old one. Windows wouldn't know the difference.
Even a different board, with the exact same chip set might boot, and then you might have to update a few drivers.

It is going to be hard to find new, as they are 4 years old, and weren't very popular.
You will probably have to look on e-bay.

Mixiko

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

Thank you, got everything i needed to know :)