[SOLVED] Advice on SATA on/off switch

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
I need to have a way of turning on and off a SATA SSD. It’s my backup SSD and I like to keep it offline when not needed, simply as a protection against whatever malware may erase/encrypt it.

In the past I’ve used this device and it worked fine. My problem now is that I’m considering a new SFF case that won’t have a spare expansion slot.

H89ce884ee0f44c63b2549d664d25fb27L.jpg

So I was thinking, why does a SATA power switch need to be so complicated? Can’t I grab a simple SATA power extension cable and put a double pole single throw switch on the orange and red wires? (I'm assuming the yellow 12 volt wire is not needed for an SSD.) I can't see any problem with this approach if the switch is used while the computer is off... or am I wrong? Also, I'm concerned about what would happen if I accidentally toggle the switch while the computer is on?

Last edited:
I don't see why you can't do that.

Not sure about the yellow...but as long as you cut all power you should be fine.

As far as switching while it's on....I think that most likely it wouldn't hurt anything....but I would avoid doing it because something unexpected might happen if the switch isn't a "clean switch" (no bouncing).....and with a toggle switch...there a chance you don't get a "clean switch".

Reactions: Leptir

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Thank you jay32267. The switch bouncing is one of those things I was concerned about. In the past I've had to unplug/re-plug power to an SSD to unfreeze it (and secure erase) and it caused no harm... I guess a switch can't be much worse. Still, I'm planning not to use that switch while power is on, I don't really need to.

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Ah, that's an excellent suggestion. I had my reasons in the past for not using an external USB enclosure, but come to think of it, there's no reason not to go that route with this new build. And it'd be safer than me wielding a soldering iron. :rolleyes:

Thank you hang-the-9.