[SOLVED] Advice on simple system for wifey

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Hello all

I am on the hunt for a new prebuilt system for my wife, who is increasingly frustrated at the gremlins inhabiting her current (old) Dell. We are in Ontario, Canada.

She doesn't game. She uses the system solely for office work (no intensive stuff, just Word, Excel etc) and for browsing and occasional video streaming (Netflix etc). Aesthetically she would want something classy/subtle, rather than something that looks like a prop from Resident Evil.

The one must-have is good wireless functionality. The configuration of our respective offices means that her system must connect via WiFi to the home network.

Price ceiling is CAN$1,000 net unless there is very good reason for looking higher.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Solution
It looks mostly fine, plenty fast enough with enough memory. It only has wireless N rather then wireless ac, so if all the streams are 1080p, it should be ok, but if she watches 4k or may in the future, wireless ac will help, would need a wifi ac router to match though.

Bit off topic, but have you tried powerline networking? I switched from wifi to powerline a while back and the difference was immeasurable. But it varies from house to house.
It looks mostly fine, plenty fast enough with enough memory. It only has wireless N rather then wireless ac, so if all the streams are 1080p, it should be ok, but if she watches 4k or may in the future, wireless ac will help, would need a wifi ac router to match though.

Bit off topic, but have you tried powerline networking? I switched from wifi to powerline a while back and the difference was immeasurable. But it varies from house to house.

Solution

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Many thanks for this. We do have powerline for our televisions upstairs and downstairs, and it works well, so why I never considered hardwiring her system that way is beyond me! Great suggestion!