Question Advice on Stably Overclocking G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Hi,

I built a new PC just two days ago and in the BIOS I loaded the XMP profile for my G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB = 16GB RAM which is rated @ 3600mhz. My PC crashed several times since then. I changed the RAM to default 2133mhz and now it seems to run okay - I did an entire render in Blender without a crash.
I would like to run it at 3200mhz or 3400mhz, but I don't know how to go about it because I have never set manual voltages or timings. I have read other threads about adjusting RAM but don't feel confident that I know what I am doing yet.

The XMP profile that causes all the crashing for this RAM is:
3600mhz
1.35v
CL 18-22-22-42

Notes:
  • my MoBo supports 3600mhz, but I just found out my RAM is not on the MoBo QVL
  • could not find a more recent BIOS update. BIOS update is dated for 2 months ago.
  • downloaded latest chipset drivers from AMD
  • My two RAM sticks are in the A2 and B2 slots
I've attached some relevant info from my MoBo manual.

Specs:
GPU (temporary): AMD Radeon HD 7770
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
MoBo: Asrock B550M Pro4
Ram: G-Skill Trident RGB 2x8GB = 16GB
SSD: Western Digital SN550 M.2 NVME - 1TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB - reused without formatting from my last build
PSU: Cooler Master 750 MWE Gold
Case: Corsair 280x

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

bHgbenZ.jpg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
That doesn't matter, so long as the rams are DDR4 and the slots on the motherboard are DDR4.
  • could not find a more recent BIOS update. BIOS update is dated for 2 months ago.
Which BIOS version are you on at the moment?

Once you're sure you're on the latest BISO version, manually input the information you see for your rams(on the sticker) into the BIOS. Key in the voltage(1.35), the timings(18-22-22-42) and the frequency(DDR4-3600).

^ that is one big mistake, once you migrate to a new platform, you're advised to reinstall your OS. Recreate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Reactions: raphealq

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
That doesn't matter, so long as the rams are DDR4 and the slots on the motherboard are DDR4.

Once you're sure you're on the latest BISO version, manually input the information you see for your rams(on the sticker) into the BIOS. Key in the voltage(1.35), the timings(18-22-22-42) and the frequency(DDR4-3600).

^ that is one big mistake, once you migrate to a new platform, you're advised to reinstall your OS. Recreate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools.
Thanks for your response.

BIOS version is: American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 2020-10-29

Glad to hear the QVL issue does not matter. As for the HDD, it was an extra storage drive. I did clean install Windows on my SSD 2 days ago and am using my HDD as a secondary drive. As per your advice, I will format it.

Okay I will manually key it in and see if that makes a difference. Will let you know.

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013

Update: manually keyed it in and it still resulted in a crash.

I noticed though that there are 4 numbers on the ram sticker for the memory timings, but 5 in the BIOS settings. They were:

18-22-22-22-42

CAS# Latency (tCL) = 18
RAS# to CAS3# Delay to Read = 22
RAS# to CAS# Delay to Write = 22
Row Precharge Time = 22
RAS# Active Time = 42

I think I have given up on running these at 3600mhz so if I run them at 3400 or 3200 instead, what should I key in?

Last edited:

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013