[SOLVED] Advice on the gaming PC build needed

mstrdm

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm building my very first gaming PC and I would like to hear your opinions/suggestions regarding the current list of parts I've chosen. In particular, I would like to know if there's anything I could change to lower the overall price without significantly affecting the gaming performance.

I would like to add that ideally, I would want this PC to last for at least ~3 years with maybe changing a part or two on the way. Also, currently I'm not looking into overclocking, but would like to have some room to do it in the future.

Here is the build:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x (would 3600 be a better choice?)
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Motherboard: MSI x570-A PRO
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 (very uncertain here)
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 2280 1TB
Power: EVGA EVGA 650 GQ 80+GOLD 650W
Case: CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 100R

Thank you very much for reading, I would appreciate any advice on the build.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Solution
Hello everyone,

I'm building my very first gaming PC and I would like to hear your opinions/suggestions regarding the current list of parts I've chosen. In particular, I would like to know if there's anything I could change to lower the overall price without significantly affecting the gaming performance.

I would like to add that ideally, I would want this PC to last for at least ~3 years with maybe changing a part or two on the way. Also, currently I'm not looking into overclocking, but would like to have some room to do it in the future.

Here is the build:
CPU Ryzen 3700x (would 3600 be a better choice?)
GPU NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super
Motherboard MSI...
Hello everyone,

Here is the build:
CPU Ryzen 3700x (would 3600 be a better choice?)
GPU NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super
Motherboard MSI x570-A PRO
RAM CORSAIR DDR4 16G PC4-24000 CL15 Dominator Platinum (8Gx2) (very uncertain here)
SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 2280 1TB
Power EVGA EVGA 650 GQ 80+GOLD 650W
Case CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 100R

Thank you very much for reading, I would appreciate any advice on the build.

Have a great day!
  1. I like the 3700x if you are looking for long term. Will last you closer to 5 years if you want.
  2. I wouldn’t touch a MSI X570 board. Very hot VRMs. I’d get a Gigabyte or Asus.
  3. GPU choice is fine.
  4. RAM I would get DDR 3600 CAS 16. Gskill Trident NEO. At very least get 3200.
  5. That PSU, heck no. Get a quality gold unit. EVGA supernova G3, Seasonic Focus Gold, Corsair TXM, RM or RMx.
  6. SSD, Intel 660p is about $87 right now and is the best deal there is for a NVME drive. Any performance difference won’t be noticeable in gaming and every day tasks.

Reactions: mstrdm
Solution
So for the PSU, its hardly a bad one and it is Gold rated. I believe it is 2nd tier in the hierarchy. The EVGA G3 and GQ are about equal in terms of quality.

You can find multiple PSU Hierarchy charts around the internet including on here, they all tend to be almost the same, so feel free to do your research and make the choice. But again the GQ is a solid choice.

I should say Newegg has the Corsair TX-M PSUs on sale so check them out.

And I agree, get the Intel 660P, its waaay cheaper and has excellent performance.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
The Ryzen 3700x is an excellent choice for a cpu. I personally run one on a b450 motherboard because I got it pretty cheap on ebay and saved 100 euro or more on x570. I think for a gaming system x570 offers not much additional value at the moment.

Maybe you could get some tighter timings on your ram. Or manually overclock it.