Question Advice on the next upgrade needed

dneemit

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
Hi all,

I hope you are all well :)

My motherboard just died and I am looking for a replacement. However, given that my current ram is DDR3 and that the processor requires 1150 socket I am in a pickle.

I could source used motherboard for about $80 (I'm in UK) that would fit both, the processor and the ram, but I wonder if this is the right way of moving forward. Therefore, I am considering upgrading processor, ram to DDR4 and get a new motherboard; without breaking the budget.

What would be the most cost effective way of going about it?

It would be nice to utilise the functionality capable processor and the ram. Both units are still very good for gaming, especially when combined with 1080. Yet, getting a motherboard that fits both is rather tricky- it feels wrong to pay around £100 for something that isn't future proof.

I could source :
16gb DDR4 for £70
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 for £180 (would it work well with the graphic card?; Internet also says there is no point in upgrading the 4770k)
Which motherboard tho?
Would my current cooler be sufficient?

Thanks for your help :)

My specs:
PSU:
750W EVGA Gold 80PLUS Power Supply
Cooler:
NZXT Kraken X31 120mm Variable Speed Liquid Cooler
Case:
AI Crystal Glass ATX Case
Processor:
Intel Core i7 4770K, 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 1250MHz GPU, 35x Ratio, 84W.
Graphic:
Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G
Motherboard:
MSI Z87M-G43 - motherboard - micro ATX - LGA1150 Socket - Z87 - LGA1150 SocketMSI Z87M-G43 - BROKEN
Ram:
32GB DDR3 1600mhz Kit (8GB x 4), Corsair vengeance.
Win 10

Hi all,

I hope you are all well :)

My motherboard just died and I am looking for a replacement. However, given that my current ram is DDR3 and that the processor requires 1150 socket I am in a pickle.

I could source used motherboard for about $80 (I'm in UK) that would fit both, the processor and the ram, but I wonder if this is the right way of moving forward. Therefore, I am considering upgrading processor, ram to DDR4 and get a new motherboard; without breaking the budget.

What would be the most cost effective way of going about it?

It would be nice to utilise the functionality capable processor and the ram. Both units are still very good for gaming, especially when combined with 1080. Yet, getting a motherboard that fits both is rather tricky- it feels wrong to pay around £100 for something that isn't future proof.

I could source :
16gb DDR4 for £70
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 for £180 (would it work well with the graphic card?; Internet also says there is no point in upgrading the 4770k)
Which motherboard tho?
Would my current cooler be sufficient?

Thanks for your help :)

My specs:
PSU:
750W EVGA Gold 80PLUS Power Supply
Cooler:
NZXT Kraken X31 120mm Variable Speed Liquid Cooler
Case:
AI Crystal Glass ATX Case
Processor:
Intel Core i7 4770K, 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 1250MHz GPU, 35x Ratio, 84W.
Graphic:
Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G
Motherboard:
MSI Z87M-G43 - motherboard - micro ATX - LGA1150 Socket - Z87 - LGA1150 SocketMSI Z87M-G43 - BROKEN
Ram:
32GB DDR3 1600mhz Kit (8GB x 4), Corsair vengeance.
Win 10

It's always good to update your components when you have the opportunity. The 3600 is more than sufficient to handle the 1080 with no bottlenecks, but you'll need to get new RAM, mostly anything 2666Hz or higher for optimal performance with the new AMD CPUs. Just make sure that if you get a B450 or x470 mobo that you flash the bios or else it won't work with the 3600.

After a while when you've recouped your finances, I'd try to buy a replacement board for your 4770k and use it as s backup computer / home server. It's a decent chip even in today's standards and it would suck putting it to waste. Or you could sell them and use the money to pay for the upgrades. Your choice in the end.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Both are right, sort of. The I7-4770k is still a decent cpu, the only viable upgrade being the 4790k, so absolutely pointless.

The determining factor should be usage. Apart from the fact that many ppl just seem to live for benchmark numbers, so always have to have the next best thing overblown pc's, just to play games, mostly it'll be what you actually do with the pc.

As it stands, you are sitting right in the middle of the pack, the pc itself is good enough for just about any application with 32Gb of ram, 4c/8t cpu, gtx1080, so 1080p/1440p, upto @ 120/144Hz isn't much of an issue as long as you don't demand that 120/144Hz in every game. Even the R5 3600 isn't capable of that.

So is there a demand for higher fps? A need? Is your gaming/work acceptable? If you are good, the cheapest route is a Z87/Z97 replacement mobo. The more expensive route being core part replacements that won't be a huge jump in performance, even if a decent upgrade.

As said, it's always nice to upgrade, but as good as you sit now, a moderate upgrade isn't going to show earth shattering results. Not for games anyways.

This is pretty close to what you'd be looking at

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS