Advice on this setup

tlafountain

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Have you already bought this stuff, or is this what you're GONNA buy??

I really hope you HAVEN'T bought yet, because no offense, but those are some bad choices. Sorry.

Please say you haven't bought yet, we can still help you get a much better system setup!!!

tlafountain

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
No i havnt bought them yet, and thats why i am seeking help, i know quite a bit on how to work on computer and stuff, but when it comes to knowing about the parts and whats best i lack the knowlage lol.

I want something that will run fast and cool.

The basic things like the case and psu i already have picked out.

I still need these items
motherboard
cpu
ram
graphics card
Water cooling
dvd rw

I have 900 to spend on all that.

What are your sugestions?
Should i stay with lga 775? or something else?
I want at least 4 gbs of ram, and a 512 g-card.
I want to go with pcie 16x and not agp.

Any sugestions would be great.
And if you sugest something could you explain why, cause i would like to learn how to tell bad from good, and whats good to look for.
Thanks,
Tom

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
You should copy/paste your message into the Homebuilt section, you'll get ALOT more advice there. In any event though, I'm shooting off the cuff, but the budget should fit:

-Core2Duo 4300 for a bit cheaper (FAST, go with 775 no question, but do NOT get a P4 or anything else except a Core2Duo. P4's are garbage. C2D is where it's at, trust me)

-PSU: Get something good. OCZ GameXstream 600w will do great. Or Antec Trio. Do NOT get a garbage PSU. You say you have one picked out.....what is it? No offense, but I think we should double check that

-Motherboard: P35 isn't needed and will blow your budget. 965 is great. Gigabyte GS-965P-DS3....a proven winner, stable, great overclocker, good layout, very good price. Highly recommended.

-2 gigs DDR2-667....anything that's fairly cheap. Like the G.Skill stuff (red heat spreaders).

-EVGA 8800GTS 320 graphics card. Will simply crush any other card you are thinking of, and should fit into your budget.

-Samsung SH-S182 DVD/RW for IDE, or the 183 for SATA. Great DVD/RW drives, pretty quiet compared to others, very inexpensive.

-Seagate Barracuda 250gb or 320gb hard drive. Make sure it's a 7200.10 with 16 meg cache. Excellent drives, 5 year warranty, fast and durable.

There ya go, that setup will kick A$$, WAY WAY better than what you spec'd. Remember to post what case and PSU you were thinking of.

tlafountain

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Ok, cool, all that sounds great, ill look them all up, oh and you and i have same taste with harddrives and psu's, the one i wanted was the one you sugested but it was the 700w series. and i already have the 320 Seagate Barracudas, i bought them about a week ago.
Thatnks for the advice, and im sure ill post it in homebuild now just to get more sugestions.
Thanks again,
Tom