Question Advice on upgrade, Finally have money.

Apr 20, 2019
Hello,

Finally can afford to make some upgrades. I am wanting to get a 144Hz monitor. I mostly play overwatch and civilization. Can my system take advantage of the monitor? Should I upgrade the GPU, CPU, RAM?. Specs below. Any input is much appreciated.

i-7-4790K @4.00 GHz
8 MB of DDR3 1600 MHz two 4gb chips
XFS Double D R9 280X

The power supply: APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
1tb hdd
250gb ssd

My budget is 500$ not including monitor

Thanks,

Last edited:
What is your upgrade budget? Does it include or not include the new display cost?
What is your power supply's manufacturer and model number?
Your RAM, is it one 8 GB chip, or two 4GB chips?
storage: Do you have a HDD or SSD, and what capacity?

Display: I recommend the AOC G2590FX. I own three of them, and I think they are great for the money. I was literally playing Overwatch on one, right before seeing your question: 1080p / 144 FPS / 24.5" / TN / 1ms refresh / FreeSync / G-Sync compatible / $199.99

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2590FX-Framless-1920x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B07D377Q6D/

The power supply: APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

Just some heads-up. Please kindly avoid using this APEVIA PSU to power your rig, or for any future upgrade. This isn't a very reputed brand for power supply units, and this PSU isn't the very best in terms of quality/output/efficiency etc.

Don't take any risk. Grab yourself some other high-end PSU from reputed brands like SEASONIC, BE QUIET, Corsair, EVGA, ANTEC and others (upper TIER models, if possible). Oh BTW, you shouldn't be upgrading now at this time of year. Kindly wait for next-gen CPUs to arrive, especially the upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000 series/ZEN2.

For 144Hz, you might also be needing slightly more Graphics horsepower.

Reactions: AllanGH
Apr 20, 2019
Just some heads-up. Please kindly avoid using this APEVIA PSU to power your rig, or for any future upgrade. This isn't a very reputed brand for power supply units, and this PSU isn't the very best in terms of quality/output/efficiency etc.

Don't take any risk. Grab yourself some other high-end PSU from reputed brands like SEASONIC, BE QUIET, Corsair, EVGA, ANTEC and others (upper TIER models, if possible). Oh BTW, you shouldn't be upgrading now at this time of year. Kindly wait for next-gen CPUs to arrive, especially the upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000 series/ZEN2.

For 144Hz, you might also be needing slightly more Graphics horsepower.

Thanks, I will look into upgrading the PS.