[SOLVED] Advice on upgrades.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 5, 2021
Hi folks, looking for some advice on a pc that was passed down to me, I know it’s quite outdated.
It’s an old hp with:

i7 3770 processor
Pegatron Motherboard 2ad5
16gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 750 ti
windows 10 pro

I am not sure about psu but I was looking for help upgrading the motherboard first and hopefully swapping out the pegatron 2ad5 with no problems.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve not had a pc in years so I am slowly gathering information again.
Thanks in advance

Solution
I want to use my ssd for gaming but I am open to improving this pc any way I can. Do people typically install windows on their ssd? I’ve only ever used mines for gaming to improve render and load times.

Do you have windows on your ssd?
I do install windows to SSD for faster boot and more responsive OS, other benefit is that when your hdd is busy doing somthing (say transfer file or loading a game), you could open browser, discord, etc etc that is installed in a ssd with fast, since its not interfering the hdd.

Thats why a SSD + HDD combo is pretty better, HDD to store stuffs and heavy games, SSD to load files/apps/games that you want it to load faster. I Only got 240gbs of ssd so i only put only valorant for game. Also...
How is this done? I’ll post tomorrow
Download and open CPU-Z
and screenshot this tab:
unknown.png

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
A PC needs a storage medium to store the operating system and all the files. Previously, mechanical hard drives were used for this purpose.

they were installed inside the pc, connected to the motherboard via sata cable. Nowadays, the hard drive is largely superseded by a solid state drive, connected to the motherboard.

another use case of an hdd or ssd would be as a removable storage medium via usb, where it would operate akin to a usb flash drive.

what we are trying to achieve here is the first use case as its the most typical and ideal way.

Reactions: Harry119
I want to use my ssd for gaming but I am open to improving this pc any way I can. Do people typically install windows on their ssd? I’ve only ever used mines for gaming to improve render and load times.

Do you have windows on your ssd?
I do install windows to SSD for faster boot and more responsive OS, other benefit is that when your hdd is busy doing somthing (say transfer file or loading a game), you could open browser, discord, etc etc that is installed in a ssd with fast, since its not interfering the hdd.

Thats why a SSD + HDD combo is pretty better, HDD to store stuffs and heavy games, SSD to load files/apps/games that you want it to load faster. I Only got 240gbs of ssd so i only put only valorant for game. Also defragging your hard drive could increase the performance too :D

Well try to find the bios and update to the latest, you might want to change the bios onto uefi, set sata mode to ahci, then install windows 10, it would be prettymuch better than ever.

Reactions: Harry119
Solution

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020

Thats why a SSD + HDD combo is pretty better, HDD to store stuffs and heavy games, SSD to load files/apps/games that you want it to load faster. I Only got 240gbs of ssd so i only put only valorant for game. Also defragging your hard drive could increase the performance too :D

Well try to find the bios and update to the latest, you might want to change the bios onto uefi, set sata mode to ahci, then install windows 10, it would be prettymuch better than ever.

just a note as to not confuse op, you can’t uhh… turn a legacy bios into uefi.

but you can run a uefi bios in legacy mode…

Aug 5, 2021
try to download CPUZ and go to mainboard tab, send a Screenshot here ;D
I think all pegatron 2ad5 motherboards come standard with Z75 chipset? I have checked multiple pages online and they all state the 2ad5 has Z75 chipset.

So as long as I have sufficient psu I should be able to upgrade my gpu in the near future.

Still need to install windows onto my ssd and I’m thinking of doing a fresh install instead of cloning. My ssd is 250gb, duno why I thought it was 500 lol

I think all pegatron 2ad5 motherboards come standard with Z75 chipset? I have checked multiple pages online and they all state the 2ad5 has Z75 chipset.

So as long as I have sufficient psu I should be able to upgrade my gpu in the near future.

Still need to install windows onto my ssd and I’m thinking of doing a fresh install instead of cloning. My ssd is 250gb, duno why I thought it was 500 lol
Yeah, your motherboard comes from an HP oem pc, it's HP Elite 7500 iirc.