[SOLVED] advice on upgrading an high end pc from 2015 on budget

nitzanlsm

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
I've been thinking about upgrading my gaming pc lately and was wandering if it was possible, and if it is then which upgrades are recommended.
By possible I mean, will I be able to upgrade on top of my pc or will I have to buy all new part because of computability reasons.

So back in 2015 I bought this pc, and it was mostly top of the line, and even though I rarely use it I still have it:
GPU: 780ti
CPU: i5-4670k running at 4ghz (+-)
Motherboard- Z97X-UD3H
RAM: Corsair 8Gb CMV8GX3M1A1600C11 CL11 (DDR3)
PSU: 750W (cant get the specifics atm, might be SeaSonic SS-750JS )
CPU Cooler: Scythe MUGEN 3 REV B
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Black

I'm aiming for mostly high settings on the newest games, running at 1080p.
Biggest question is ,i guess, do I have to upgrade my CPU/my ram to DDR4, as those upgrades would also mean I would have to replace my MOBO, and since I undoubtedly need to upgrade my GPU, that would pretty much mean I would need to buy a whole new pc, which I'm probably not going to do. (sadly would rather buy a new console instead 🤢)

Last note, I'd really prefer to remain with an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU unless there is a much cheaper alternative,
as for price range, I would say budget- (student), for a ball park, buying a 3070 would've been the perfect upgrade for me budget wise and performance wise. (had it not been bottlenecked to death by my CPU).
So what do you think? is an upgrade feasible or am i doomed to get a new pc/console.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Never seen a cpu 'hold back' a gpu, ever.

Cpu pre renders every frame. It's responsible for the fps limits. Those pre-rendered frames get sent to the gpu which finishes the frame according to detail settings and resolution.

For low thread games like CSGO and LoL etc, that i5 will be just fine, it's capable of much higher fps than the monitor can refresh. A card like the 1660ti or Super will be well capable of ultra settings at 1080p/60Hz for those games. And still not dip below 60Hz.

Its only when getting into very cpu intensive games like BF5 or the new CoD that your fps will nose dive, a 4 thread i5 can't pre-render as many frames. In those cases, the gpu can still be set at ultra, as long as any cpu bound settings such as grass...

nitzanlsm

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
If I were to upgrade your current pc, I would double the memory, add a 1660 gtx super card, and a SSD if you don't already have one.
Thank you for the quick response,
I would rather get a lower end graphics card from the current gen, as Nvidia is investing more in generational technologies nowdays and a strong gpu from past gen would get outdated very quickly, but the 1660 is definitely in my price range.
Any other suggestions?

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
The 3070 is from the current generation....if you can find them anywhere, and as you said your cpu will hold it back a bunch. I do a lot of budget gamer builds for customers and the 1660 super is my go to card for someone on a budget.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never seen a cpu 'hold back' a gpu, ever.

Cpu pre renders every frame. It's responsible for the fps limits. Those pre-rendered frames get sent to the gpu which finishes the frame according to detail settings and resolution.

For low thread games like CSGO and LoL etc, that i5 will be just fine, it's capable of much higher fps than the monitor can refresh. A card like the 1660ti or Super will be well capable of ultra settings at 1080p/60Hz for those games. And still not dip below 60Hz.

Its only when getting into very cpu intensive games like BF5 or the new CoD that your fps will nose dive, a 4 thread i5 can't pre-render as many frames. In those cases, the gpu can still be set at ultra, as long as any cpu bound settings such as grass detail, fog, viewing distance etc are kept to minimums.

If I had to update on a budget, a plain 2.5" Sata3 ssd as boot drive, get rid of that 8Gb cl11 1600 ram in favor of 16Gb 1866 cl9 or cl10, and find a i7-4790k cheap. And the 1660ti/super. Ebay for everything except the gpu.

That'd hold you over for another year or 2 until you can afford to replace everything. Which you'll need to do to keep up with the software.

Solution