Advice on upgrading Foxconn A76ML-K - Video server

simonmason

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
A few years ago I built a video server using a Foxconn A76ML-K board, 2x1GB RAM, and an Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.00GHz processor.

It runs fine and serves up video throughout the house using Plex. However, recently it has started to bog down when recording Video. I record with Plex and PlayOn on the server and I have had to keep dropping the video quality to ensure successful recording.

Before I think about replacing the mobo, I thought I would ask for some advice.

According to the specs it supports:

The Foxconn A76ML-K supports AM3 AMD processors including the Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 X2, Sempron and the latest AM2+ K10 Phenom series AMD processors.

Also it supports 2x DDR3-1600(OC)/1333/1066 DIMMs, Dual Channel, Max Capacity upto 8GB.

I assume I can pick up a new processor and/or more ram. Would anyone recommend either option or bag it and start fresh? Thanks.

Solution
Although that is a very old motherboard, if it's been working well enough up to now, an inexpensive upgrade would make sense. I think the best upgrade you could make to that machine would be the RAM. 2GB may have been enough a few years go when you built it, but that's not much in 2017. If you can find 8GB that does not cost too much, that would be ideal. I would not upgrade the CPU unless you can find one very cheap.

Remember if you build a new machine it not only will cost you way more, but you will have the headache of getting it to work properly. It can sometime become very frustrating.
Although that is a very old motherboard, if it's been working well enough up to now, an inexpensive upgrade would make sense. I think the best upgrade you could make to that machine would be the RAM. 2GB may have been enough a few years go when you built it, but that's not much in 2017. If you can find 8GB that does not cost too much, that would be ideal. I would not upgrade the CPU unless you can find one very cheap.

Remember if you build a new machine it not only will cost you way more, but you will have the headache of getting it to work properly. It can sometime become very frustrating.

Solution