[SOLVED] Advice on upgrading mobo, cpu and ram

Jan 27, 2021
As mentioned in the title, i am planning to upgrade my mobo, cpu and ram and will continue to use my SSD. My ssd contains my OS and it is currently my boot drive. I do not have a HDD btw.

So the question i have in mind is that if i connect my old ssd to my new mobo, will it boot up with all my files still intact? Or do i have to reinstall windows and if i need to, will all my files be gone? Will appreciate some advice :)

Solution
Oh okkk

I have one more question. If i get a new m.2 ssd to install windows on my new mobo, will i be able to access my files when i connect my old ssd?

If you use a new M.2 SSD and you install Windows on that you will be able to connect the other SSD after Windows 10 installation is over and see all the files in it yes.

Programs installed on that drive tho will not work anymore because your drive letters won't be the same on that drive and the files pathing will be all wrong and it will be missing registry entries from the programs installation not present on the new OS install.

All your files will be accessible but programs and games won't work and will need to be reinstalled on any drives.
Hi Wildchaox.

A new Windows install is recommended when you use a new system. All programs will have to be reinstalled. All important files will have to be backed up somewhere before you do.

Cloning a boot drive is when you keep the same hardware. It cannot be done when you switch to a new system with new hardware.

Jan 27, 2021
Oh okkk

I have one more question. If i get a new m.2 ssd to install windows on my new mobo, will i be able to access my files when i connect my old ssd?

Oh okkk

If you use a new M.2 SSD and you install Windows on that you will be able to connect the other SSD after Windows 10 installation is over and see all the files in it yes.

Programs installed on that drive tho will not work anymore because your drive letters won't be the same on that drive and the files pathing will be all wrong and it will be missing registry entries from the programs installation not present on the new OS install.

All your files will be accessible but programs and games won't work and will need to be reinstalled on any drives.

Solution