[SOLVED] Advice on upgrading my gaming pc

Nov 16, 2019
hello everyone,

so i am looking for some advice with upgrading my pc. i bought this prebuilt back in 2014 and it has been great over the years but its really starting to lack with a lot of the newer games coming out.

its a Acer Predator AG3-605-UR2E
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz Processor (6 MB cache)
  • 8 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 Graphics with 1.5GB of Discrete Video Memory
and from what i can tell its a 500w power supply. full stats - https://snlookup.com/acer-predator-g3-605-desktop-dt-spxaa-016-p7930

i would really like to be able to upgrade my graphics card without getting into upgrading my power supply if possible. ive seen a lot of conflicting info so im kind of confused on what route i should go.

also, would upgrading to 16gb of ram help? i mostly play casual single player games

any suggestions from people smarter than me when it comes to gaming pcs would be greatly appreciated lol

thanks

Solution
i would really like to be able to upgrade my graphics card without getting into upgrading my power supply if possible.
Being an older card, the GTX 760 draws a lot of power relative to the performance many current mid-range offerings provide. So there are a number of substantially faster cards that draw less power than the 760's 170 watt TDP.

If you are shopping for a new card, something like a GTX 1660 or 1660 SUPER would offer more than double the graphics performance while only drawing around 120-130 watts under load, and even something like an RTX 2060 is likely to draw slightly less power than a 760, while delivering around three-times the graphics performance (at least in games that are not being limited by CPU...
i would really like to be able to upgrade my graphics card without getting into upgrading my power supply if possible.
Being an older card, the GTX 760 draws a lot of power relative to the performance many current mid-range offerings provide. So there are a number of substantially faster cards that draw less power than the 760's 170 watt TDP.

If you are shopping for a new card, something like a GTX 1660 or 1660 SUPER would offer more than double the graphics performance while only drawing around 120-130 watts under load, and even something like an RTX 2060 is likely to draw slightly less power than a 760, while delivering around three-times the graphics performance (at least in games that are not being limited by CPU performance).

Additional RAM can help depending on the game, as a number of the most demanding games now benefit from having more than 8GB.

You might also consider installing Windows and your most-played games onto an SSD. It won't really do anything for framerates, but will generally cut game load times in half and improve overall system responsiveness outside of gaming. You would likely be looking at a 2.5" SATA SSD for that system, and something like a 500GB to 1TB Crucial MX500 might be a good option.

Reactions: tylerakatank
Solution

TRENDING THREADS