[SOLVED] Advice on upgrading my pc help!

May 31, 2020
Hi im looking to upgrade my PC if you could help me please
Processor + Core Count Intel Core i5-8600K 4.6GHz Overclocked Six Core (Stock 3.6GHz, 9MB Cache)

Memory 2 x 8Gb Kit Hyper-X Fury DDR4 2666Mhz Performance Memory

Graphics GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

Solid State Drive Samsung 960 EVO 250Gb M.2 PCIe SSD

Hard Drive 1000GB (7,200RPM)

Operating System Windows 10 Home

Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet

Wireless LAN Built in 300Mbps Wireless N Card with Twin Antenna

Warranty 3 Year MendIT Warranty to include All Parts / Labour / Collect and Return Costs (View
More Information)

Main Storage 1TB HDD + 250GB SSD

Processor Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Red LED CPU Cooler with 4 direct contact heatpipes

Motherboard Asus Prime Z370-P Socket 1151 Motherboard

Motherboard Form Factor ATX

Chipset Intel Z370

Sound Chipset integrated by Realtek ALC887

External Ports Rear: 2 x USB 2.0, 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 x PS2 Keyboard/Mouse ports

Case Aerocool Cyber X Advance Gaming Case with 2 x Red LED Fans

Power Supply Aerocool MOD XT 750W Semi Modular 80 Plus Bronze PSU

If you have any suggestions on what may be a weak link on the pc but the things i am defo looking at changing is the case and i would like it water cooled instead as its kicking out way to much heat currently but the case i believe is broken as the headset jack isnt working and on this pc alone it wont let me pass 2mbps download when my internet is actually alot higher than that which may be the PC's wireless networking issue. The PC is primely used for gaming obviously games such as warzone at high frames. Obviously looking for the best quality for a fair price.

Solution
Yeah mate its a prebuild i brought it probably back in 2017 so the warranty is gone as i was 24 months but i'm looking at making the best i can for a reasonable price
Well, that's how the new configuration looks to me...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler | CRYORIG R1 Ultimate 76 CFM CPU Cooler | £74.99 @ AWD-IT
Thermal Compound | Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste | £5.99 @ AWD-IT
Motherboard | Asus Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | Purchased For £0.00
Memory | Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory |...
Well, for starters, that cooler is a dud compared to that chip. So a better cooler will help. Water cooling doesn't always necessarily mean better cooling as some of the high performance air coolers can do the trick too at a lower cost than the kind of water cooler it would take to cool that chip.
That motherboard doesn't have an onboard wifi, so you must be rocking some kind of wireless NIC either PCIe or USB, which isnt good enough if you are not getting adequate bandwidth. It can also be your wireless settings though.
Judging by the part list you have mentioned above definitely looks like a prebuild, hence that garbage PSU, which needs to go first, by the way.
Be advised, any part replacement other than the prebuilt manufacturer/vendor, can void the warranty.

A location can be helpful in part suggestion.

Obviously a Pre-build, 3 year warrenty, collection etc. And the giveaway is the poor case and PSU.

The PSU is your weak link, states "upto 85% efficiency"...... yikes. Buy a normal SSD and use the money save on the M.2 PCIe SSD to get a decent Corsiar or Seasonic PSU. A GTX 1070 will get decent Warzone FPS at 1080p but not on ultra settings.

A M.2 PCIe SSD will bring you little or no advantage over a normal Samsung SSD and is for a system like you have above really overkill. Apart from the PSU and case the whole system seems reasonably OK, really depends what you are having to pay where you live as to it's value for money.

May 31, 2020
Obviously a Pre-build, 3 year warrenty, collection etc. And the giveaway is the poor case and PSU.

The PSU is your weak link, states "upto 85% efficiency"...... yikes. Buy a normal SSD and use the money save on the M.2 PCIe SSD to get a decent Corsiar or Seasonic PSU. A GTX 1070 will get decent Warzone FPS at 1080p but not on ultra settings.

A M.2 PCIe SSD will bring you little or no advantage over a normal Samsung SSD and is for a system like you have above really overkill. Apart from the PSU and case the whole system seems reasonably OK, really depends what you are having to pay where you live as to it's value for money.
I live in the UK so i can easily get stuff from amazon or a local store near me

The first thing I'd want to upgrade is the PSU. I assume it is those low quality, old designed, budget Power Supply that your components does not deserve.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...old+Semi+Modular+Power+Supply?productId=67336

The others can follow, depending on what you're having problems with. Are you having low FPS on games? Do you want to boost rendering times? What are you trying to accomplish?

Yeah mate its a prebuild i brought it probably back in 2017 so the warranty is gone as i was 24 months but i'm looking at making the best i can for a reasonable price

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Thermal Compound | Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste | £5.99 @ AWD-IT
Memory | Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory | Purchased For £0.00
Storage | Silicon Power Ace A55 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | Purchased For £0.00
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | Purchased For £0.00
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card | Purchased For £0.00
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | £86.27 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £69.98 @ Currys PC World Business
Wireless Network Adapter | TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter | £54.68 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case Fan | Scythe Slipstream 110.31 CFM 120 mm Fan | £18.16 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £328.23
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-01 12:05 BST+0100 |

All top quality parts to make the PC the new beast.

The case comes with 3 high quality fans, so you can start with them and add the extra fans later on if you feel the need.

Solution
May 31, 2020
The first thing I'd want to upgrade is the PSU. I assume it is those low quality, old designed, budget Power Supply that your components does not deserve.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/Modular+650W+or+less/650W+-+Corsair+TX650M+80++Gold+Semi+Modular+Power+Supply?productId=67336

The others can follow, depending on what you're having problems with. Are you having low FPS on games? Do you want to boost rendering times? What are you trying to accomplish?
Well my fps is fine to be fair but i wouldnt mind upgrading my Graphics card but nothing in that is mega money for a tiny bit more performance the main problem im having is lag spikes my ping will go from like 20 straight up to like 900 and my download speed is stuck on 2mbps maximum ive checked my setting and when i do wifi tests on other pcs in my house my wifi is fine and getting over 55mbps

May 31, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Memory | Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory | Purchased For £0.00
Storage | Silicon Power Ace A55 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | Purchased For £0.00
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | Purchased For £0.00
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card | Purchased For £0.00
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | £86.27 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £69.98 @ Currys PC World Business
Wireless Network Adapter | TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter | £54.68 @ Overclockers.co.uk
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £328.23
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-01 12:05 BST+0100 |

All top quality parts to make the PC the new beast.

The case comes with 3 high quality fans, so you can start with them and add the extra fans later on if you feel the need.
will my motherboard and all the rest of the existing stuff work together and fit into the new case

Well my fps is fine to be fair but i wouldnt mind upgrading my Graphics card but nothing in that is mega money for a tiny bit more performance the main problem im having is lag spikes my ping will go from like 20 straight up to like 900 and my download speed is stuck on 2mbps maximum ive checked my setting and when i do wifi tests on other pcs in my house my wifi is fine and getting over 55mbps
You can troubleshoot by using a LAN cable, are the results the same? Have you tried wiping the WiFi driver and replace it with the latest one from the maker's website? It's worth a try. If all else fails, I suggest getting a better one, maybe others can help as I'm not familiar with this. I don't see anything else being a problem except the PSU to be honest, especially that you're fine with anything else.

I disagree with the others that you need a new case. Yes, something like a 275R will be better, but you probably won't notice it as the Cyber X has decent airflow already. It feels to me that you're going to burn money replacing the case. What you might do instead is replacing the fans included, because they are most likely sleeve bearing that wears out very quickly. Three Noctua fans for 15 quids each might sound expensive, but those things will last forever and has great airflow.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nf-p12-redux-pwm-12v-1700rpm-120mm-quiet-case-fan

May 31, 2020
Price currently isnt my concern i dont mind upgrading whatever i just want to be able to play without lagging and i know its defiantly not my internet as my xbox and other pcs dont lag on my wifi

I disagree with the others that you need a new case. Yes, something like a 275R will be better, but you probably won't notice it as the Cyber X has decent airflow already. It feels to me that you're going to burn money replacing the case. What you might do instead is replacing the fans included, because they are most likely sleeve bearing that wears out very quickly. Three Noctua fans for 15 quids each might sound expensive, but those things will last forever and has great airflow.
The case is not required for the airflow specifically. It is because the headset jack is broke, as mentioned by the OP. And by the looks of it, that Aerocool seems like a case with poorly designed thermal management from a secondary brand with lots of marketing BS and no independent review that I could find of. A good quality premium case can make a world of difference to a build longevity and performance.

Do you think upgrading could fix my lag spike issues or do you think that is a deeper problem, Sorry for all of the questions lol my local pc store a hopeless.
Other than the PCIe card, none of the other parts can fix the lag spike issues. They are suggested for the case and thermal issues you have mentioned in your initial post. Those issues will be pretty much fixed by the parts suggested.

As for the lag spikes, you have mentioned in your initial post that your download is limited to 2mbps.
Is your router configured with device specific bandwidth cap?
Have you tried to fiddle with your router settings or speak to your ISP for this?
Have you tried to measure the speed with ethernet?
How are you reading these lag spikes exactly, is it something like the PUBG game counter?
Have you tried ping testing through elevated CMD?
Have you tried to run your device isolated with the other devices detached?

You need to get to the source first to address the issue.
From start menu, right click on CMD and launch as administrator. Then go ahead and execute the following commands...
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset
Now detach all your other devices from the router and restart it.
Now restart the PC and compare the results from before.

Here are some additional resources to refer to...
https://www.elitegameservers.net/cl...n-cause-lag-ping-spikes-and-packet-loss-.html
https://hitech-us.com/articles/entry/292/Ping-spikes-on-Wi-Fi-every-10-seconds-Solved
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-fix-wireless-lag-spikes

Last edited: