[SOLVED] Advice on upgrading R9 380, please

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Finally starting to hit some games with frame rates below what i'd like and I'm debating upgrading my R9 380. Prices right now on the RX 580 are reasonable for my budget, but I'm not sure if that's enough of a bump to be worth it.

CPU: i5-4690K
RAM: 16GB DDR3/2133MHz
PSU: 550W
Monitors: 3, but I only play on one.
Additional: I've been making a lot of use of my Steamlink.

I play mainly SP and co-op titles, nothing competitive. Also, not looking to go 4K or anything. Looking to increase performance in games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and other open world/pretty games. Generally leaning towards ATI cards, as I haven't had the best experience with Nvidia, but that's just a general preference and holding a grudge.

Thanks!

Solution
With the 580 you are looking at a 30% bump in fps. If that is worth $150-200, then go for it.

With that being said, $200 is the mainstream market and AMD will release new GPUs at the $200 price point this year and they will perform better than the 580. Nvidia will probably drop the 1660/1660ti pricing when that happens. So holding off for six months may change the 30% bump for $200 to a 50% bump for $200.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hey, thanks for the fast reply (even if the email notification didnt come through...)

"Should be able to handle it"? What's the possible limitation? Power or bottlenecking?

Also, is there something else that would be a better performance boost without breaking the bank? (If this card is the sweetspot, that's cool, just want to make sure.)

I'm also open to the idea of popular mining cards that might be on the used market, buy I haven't been paying attention to that segment much recently.

The 580 is fairly power hungry, but with the rest of your parts, your PSU will be fine.

My advice is to get the best GPU you can afford. The 580 is a couple years old and there are better GPUs on the market. But they are more expensive. The next step up from the 580 would be a 1660. It will get about 20% better fps, but cost around $220. So if you can afford it, then go for it.

As far as mining cards, you do have to be careful buying mining cards. If they were mined by someone who knows what they are doing, then they will probably be fine. But if not, then they have been overheated and over stressed and they may not survive long. In the end miners have already gotten rid of most of their cards, so the used market has settled down.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
The 580 is fairly power hungry, but with the rest of your parts, your PSU will be fine.

That's what I figured, but didn't want to assume.

My advice is to get the best GPU you can afford.

Yeah, my system has always been to buy a decent card that's a few years old every 2-3 years, rather than get a top-of-the-line one every 5 or so. Since I don't game competitively, and I'm rarely trying to play on the newest monitor, that's always worked well for me.

The issue has always been figuring out when a card in the $150-200 range is actually a worth-while upgrade, and when I should wait another year or so, if that makes sense.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
The issue has always been figuring out when a card in the $150-200 range is actually a worth-while upgrade, and when I should wait another year or so, if that makes sense.
I'm sure it would, if you feel like your PC just isn't cutting it anymore in games, I suggest upgrading your GPU. The rest of your system is all good its just the PSU I'd be a bit worried about. If its a reputable brand with an 80+ rating I'm sure its good since the RX 580 recommends at least a 500w PSU. Here's an AMD article comparing the RX 580 to the R9 380.

With the 580 you are looking at a 30% bump in fps. If that is worth $150-200, then go for it.

With that being said, $200 is the mainstream market and AMD will release new GPUs at the $200 price point this year and they will perform better than the 580. Nvidia will probably drop the 1660/1660ti pricing when that happens. So holding off for six months may change the 30% bump for $200 to a 50% bump for $200.

Solution

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Here's an AMD article comparing the RX 580 to the R9 380.

Thanks. That was pretty handy.

So holding off for six months may change the 30% bump for $200 to a 50% bump for $200.

Which is what I will most likely do. It's not a critical need right now...but I guess I'm just getting antsy for new toys.

the sapphire nitro 570 is pretty cheap for 8 gb of vram . if your games support crossfire you can buy 2

Never been a fan of SLI/Crossfire...and support is really drying up for it these days anyway.