Advice on upgrading

damageinc24

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Currently I have a gtx 560ti, I ordered a EVGA GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Superclocked ACX 2.0. My current set up as follows,

i5 - 2500k
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
samsung evo 850 500gb

I know that the sandy bridge will hold back the newer pci-e 3.0, but how much of a difference will that make? Is it crucial to upgrade the cpu/mobo? Is it worth getting more ram, I know they would have to be the same speed but the mobo says the ram is dual channel and im not sure what that means? If over clocking the cpu is necessary, which is something I have never done, any advice on how would greatly be appreciated.

Solution
It's very slim you'll encounter any bottlenecking with that setup.

Overclocking isn't going to be necessary and you don't have to upgrade the cpu or board.

Your card is what would be bottlenecked by PCIe 2.0, if that bothers you, sure you could upgrade the mobo and/or cpu, but again, not entirely necessary.

*Whether RAM is dual channel, single channel, triple channel etc.. depends on where it is slotted on your board, theoretically multiple channel memory uses the bandwidth of that many modules., dual channel can provide a performance increase of up to 10-15%

Wayfur

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
It's very slim you'll encounter any bottlenecking with that setup.

Overclocking isn't going to be necessary and you don't have to upgrade the cpu or board.

Your card is what would be bottlenecked by PCIe 2.0, if that bothers you, sure you could upgrade the mobo and/or cpu, but again, not entirely necessary.

*Whether RAM is dual channel, single channel, triple channel etc.. depends on where it is slotted on your board, theoretically multiple channel memory uses the bandwidth of that many modules., dual channel can provide a performance increase of up to 10-15%

Solution