[SOLVED] Advice on upgrading

simondk40

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
After 1.5 years or so I wish to upgrade some components in my build to pimp the looks of it.
I wish to change the MOBO, currently an ASUS Prime b350 plus.
I also want to change the CPU cooler. Right now it is a standard AMD cooler that is included with the Ryzen CPU's.
I am considering to get the ROG STRIX b450-f motherboard and an NZXT Kraken x62 liquid cooler because I really like the looks of them.

However, I am a beginner to PC building so I would like to hear some feedback on my choices.
Would the upgrades go well with my other components? (list of components below)
Are the components worth it?
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Current build
NZXT s340 case
ASUS Prime b350 plus motherboard
Corsair CS650M PSU
Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 RAM 16GB
MSI Geforce GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB GPU
Kingston UV400 SSD 120GB
Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" HDD 1000GB

Solution
Ngl I'd get a bigger SSD better GPU and better CPU as for cooling the X62 is good just be sure you have clearance for a 280 radiator where you want it.

Rathbone

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
I think it depends on what you want from your machine and what you use it for.

If this is just to pimp your machine then I probably can't help. If you are looking for performance benefits then I'd say a 280mm rad is overkill for a 65tdp CPU (unless you are pushing that overclock) and that and your motherboard money is probably better spent elsewhere or saved towards a new CPU/GPU.

You could put a new Ryzen 3 into your existing motherboard (it would be best updating the bios before you do that though) and just buy some RGB lights.