Advice on what comonents to get

mieky

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hello,
I want a fast, snappy, desktop PC for work. Day to day i will be using Outlook at the same time as surfing Linkedin, at the same time as surfing the net in general, at the same time as using Word.
Can any one offer any advice on the type of PC i should be buying in terms of CPU, RAM, etc. For example, should i be trying to get something with an SSD installed; will a Sandybridge CPU make a significant difference etc.
I often have lots of windows open at once and just want something that's highly responsive.
Many thanks.

Any modern dualcore or quadcore based cpu should more than suffice for officework/ surfing duties. (I'd shoot for 8 gb of memory if using a 64 bit OS)

the I5-2400 is a reasonably priced quadcore cpu ($189) , as are the H67-based mainboards ($84). SSDs do allow systems to boot and open/close programs a tad quicker, but at considerably more expense than needed, IMO.

mieky

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

Many thanks for your reply - i've been considering a new builld but as you've probably already gathered i'm very much a newbie on PC technology. Am tending towards something like you describe (am considering one of the Chilblast offerings) but had also been wondering if a cheaper 2nd hand Dell from Ebay option, might also be worth considering??

Basically, i really need something that is quick and am happy to pay for this so long as the newer technology such as i5/DDr3 etc will provide a notable performance improvement on office work/surfing duties when compared to something like a 2nd hand Dell using eg Intel Duo and DDR2??

Thanks again for your advice

mieky

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

Thanks spentshells - it seems i'm gonna get an advantage with the latest technologies (even though most of my activity will be multiple surfing and Office) so that i'm gonna go down road, but think i'll leave adn SSD drive for some time in the future - think a good DDR3 unit will be good enough.

no matter how you do it do not buy a used dell