advice on what to do with Alienware m17x r3 with a fried Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

branden_7

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I have inherited an Alienware m17x R3 that seems to have a fried motherboard. What I know about it is that it was sent back a little after purchase and the first motherboard was replaced. It was sent back again about 2 years ago and "everything was replaced" (I don't know what this means exactly). The motherboard seems to be dead again, which from what I can gather is a common problem with these.

My question now is, what do I do with this thing? I need a laptop, but I don't actually need an 11 pound gaming laptop I need something a bit more portable and work related. It's about 200 bucks for a new motherboard (which will probably just fail in another year or so given the track record of this thing). I see these for sale on ebay in working condition for about 500. It doesnt really seem worth replacing to me.

Do I part it out, pull the HD and sell it as it is (although the issue here is that I don't really know exact specs on it and i cant find out because it doesnt turn on), or try to replace the motherboard and then sell it?

Thanks for any advice.

Solution
You can't really sell the mobo since that's part of the laptop. Leave that with the laptop chassis when selling.

Yeah I would sell the HD and RAM separately. You will most likely get a better price for it.
Status
Not open for further replies.