Question Advice on which part to upgrade

Johnny33

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Hello,

I’m unsure on which component I should upgrade next. I’ve had my current build since 2016 and only have the money to upgrade one component. We’ll say a budget of around £400.

I have noticed stuttering on some games and drops in FPS. Could be software but for now I’d like to upgrade my hardware.

Would like some advice on which would provide the best boost to gaming.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:
CPU - i5 6600k
GPU - GTX 1070
Ram - 16gb
PSU - 850w

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What PSU make and model is it exactly?
A RTX 2070 is an upgrade, but not a huge one.
RTX 2080 would be fine at lower res, but may be a little limiting on your CPU in higher resolution in some CPU intensive applications.

Depends on what is currently holding you back in applications. Have you monitored individual core CPU usage in game? Also what resolution and settings are you playing at?

Johnny33

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
What PSU make and model is it exactly?
A RTX 2070 is an upgrade, but not a huge one.
RTX 2080 would be fine at lower res, but may be a little limiting on your CPU in higher resolution in some CPU intensive applications.

Depends on what is currently holding you back in applications. Have you monitored individual core CPU usage in game? Also what resolution and settings are you playing at?

PSU is a Corsair CX850M. Not been on my PC in a while, currently working in a different country so won’t have access to it until late August. I can perform full tests then but from what I remember I believe the CPU had a high usage.
I tend to play on high settings, sometimes ultra depending on the game, and always 1080p. I don’t delve into higher resolutions for any game.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSU is a Corsair CX850M. Not been on my PC in a while, currently working in a different country so won’t have access to it until late August. I can perform full tests then but from what I remember I believe the CPU had a high usage.
I tend to play on high settings, sometimes ultra depending on the game, and always 1080p. I don’t delve into higher resolutions for any game.
If it's just 1080p, not a huge reason to upgrade the GPU. So CPU is probably the way to go. But i'd verify what might be causing stutters first. Because if it isn't related to CPU or GPU usage, then it won't make much difference.

Have you monitored CPU (individual cores, not whole package) and GPU temps under load when the drops occur?
Have you monitored RAM and DISK usage at the same times?

Cvint

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
Hello,

I’m unsure on which component I should upgrade next. I’ve had my current build since 2016 and only have the money to upgrade one component. We’ll say a budget of around £400.

I have noticed stuttering on some games and drops in FPS. Could be software but for now I’d like to upgrade my hardware.

Would like some advice on which would provide the best boost to gaming.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:
CPU - i5 6600k
GPU - GTX 1070
Ram - 16gb
PSU - 850w
An SSD?
I just got an M.2 its life changing...

Johnny33

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
If it's just 1080p, not a huge reason to upgrade the GPU. So CPU is probably the way to go. But i'd verify what might be causing stutters first. Because if it isn't related to CPU or GPU usage, then it won't make much difference.

Have you monitored CPU (individual cores, not whole package) and GPU temps under load when the drops occur?
Have you monitored RAM and DISK usage at the same times?

Used afterburner to monitor temperatures/usage of GPU and CPU.

GPU tends to be around 60-75 degrees Celsius but can’t remember the CPU temperature or usage; same with disk and ram usage (sorry I can’t be more helpful in that regard).

If there’s better software to monitor this I’ll install it when I’m back, and if needed will create a new thread to further the discussion if no more help can be given.

Again, really sorry for not being able to provide more information at this current point in time.

An SSD?
I just got an M.2 its life changing...

I have an SSD, 250GB, which has my windows and a few other things on it. Can’t fit all my games on it unfortunately.