Question Advice on Win10 updates please.

Aug 13, 2020
I have 2 PC's so 2 questions regarding the May 2020 update.

Usually I pause the Windows updates to see the response from the community and the May update wasn't a favorable response, so at this time PC 1 hasn't had the update but is very stable, however, and here comes question 1... how long can I safely or reliably continue without an update?

The reason why I want to delay it further is because of issues with PC 2.

PC 2 and 2nd question ... is a rebuild that I did last month and due to a very old SSD that needed replacing I had to install a new copy of Win10, and along with that install came the May 2020 update... and I've had a lot of problems with running browsers since, usually quite often the browser crashing under load but also a lot of BSoD shutdowns.

I have the PC running quite stable now after removing my preferred browser Chrome and rolling back the Edge update, I'm using Firefox which is not ideal but not so prone to crash.

Question 2 then ... as it's a new install I assume there is no way to roll back to an earlier version of Win10, so when is Microsoft likely to have a major update again?

I know that the browser crashes may not be caused by the May update, but I don't have any problems with PC 1, and after going through many hours of elimination with PC 2 I suspect that is the issue.

I can't do much more to PC 2 in terms of troubleshooting than I have already, so now I'm at a point where a new update of Win10 would either prove or disprove that it is the issue and also get me past the dilemma of whether or not to update PC 1.

Apologies for the long winded post, I've decided to post here for the first time because I've found so much good advice here myself.

I'm really just looking for a general consensus on the Win10 updates and advice on how best to move forward.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
I'm on version 2004 as well as most of the folks I know(here and beyond) and they haven't experienced the issue stated by the www. I'd ask you to make sure you've got a backup of all your critical content in case things go sideways.

Prior to the updates, please make sure you're on the latest BIOS updates for your motherboard. The drivers, well, you are advised to manually source the drivers from manufacturer's support site and then install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

^ two sets for two machines. List their BIOS versions as well.

Aug 13, 2020
I'm on version 2004 as well as most of the folks I know(here and beyond) and they haven't experienced the issue stated by the www. I'd ask you to make sure you've got a backup of all your critical content in case things go sideways.

Prior to the updates, please make sure you're on the latest BIOS updates for your motherboard. The drivers, well, you are advised to manually source the drivers from manufacturer's support site and then install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

^ two sets for two machines. List their BIOS versions as well.

Thanks for the reply and yes I have everything backed up and copies of the OS for both machines.

BIOS is up to date and as for the drivers I've spent many hours working through device manager installing and rolling back drivers to try and pinpoint the issue, soundcard, memory management etc. as well as the with the Nvidia GPU and removing 3rd party programs. I've also made a reinstall of Win10 twice.

As stated, I now have PC2 generally stable using Firefox, and had tried many clean installs of Chrome and Edge where the issue of browser crashing and BSoD was very common again, which leads me to believe that is the issue, but... it may of course be a deeper conflict which is beyond my limited scope to identify and resolve.

Your help would be appreciated.

I only use this PC in the lounge for TV browsing so it's not under any particular load. It runs very cool and monitoring with CPU-z and GPU-z doesn't show any unusual behavior. The browser crash errors I can't recall without switching it on and getting it to crash, but the BSoD event when it happens is always Kernal Power 41 63.

CPU: Intel 9400F
Motherboard: Gigabyte B360 HD3
Ram: 2x8gb DDR4-2666 Gigabyte
SSD/HDD: SSD for OS Kingston sa400s37/240g 240gb (new).
2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD 1 x ASUS optical drive.
GPU: ROG STRIX GTX1050Ti
PSU: Deep Cool DQ 650 M V2L (new, replaced as I thought the previous PSU could be the issue)

The only peripherals on the Motherboard are one Master Cooler fan on the TX3 CPU cooler and 1 Tortox Luna fan on the case.

TRENDING THREADS