Question Advice on Zen4 MB for 7800X3D

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Currently in a 2018 built i9-9900K with 3080 Ti. Looking to upgrade, was going to wait for Intel to do 5nm in 14th gen, but then found out about the 5800X3D. My main game is MS Flight Simulator in 4K Ultra and VR, which brings L3 cache into play. Also a bit of Forza thrown in and looking for new fun stuff to do with my VR headset.

Having never done AMD before, I am unsure on what motherboards to look at regarding the limitations of the various models and the specific limitations seen in the X3D, such as PBO, undervolting etc. Looking to build out in a O11 Air Mini with 280mm AIO and 4090 FE. Gravitating towards the announced B650 Gaming E from Asus, as I am familiar with Asus, but if lower end boards or mATX versions can provide everything I need to take advantage of the X3D limitations without spending for BIOS functions I would not be able to use, suggestions welcome.

A lot of the AMD "ignorance" I have pertain to things like how many PCIE lanes do I need for my X3D and 4090 FE, MSFS2020 and Forza? A 280mm AIO would chill the thing gaming my specific titles? I only want 2 slots for RAM right? Almost thinking unless need more than 3500MB/s NVME speeds, even the lowest end AM5 MBs might be good-to-go? I run twin NVME m.2 SSDs. And I am aware the Zen4 X3D stuff is not coming to next year, was going to plop in a 7600X for now and resell that once I put an X3D in.

Paul

View: https://youtu.be/gGbHHXCXsAw

Last edited:
Currently in a 2018 built i9-9900K with 3080 Ti. Looking to upgrade, was going to wait for Intel to do 5nm in 14th gen, but then found out about the 5800X3D. My main game is MS Flight Simulator in 4K Ultra and VR, which brings L3 cache into play. Also a bit of Forza thrown in and looking for new fun stuff to do with my VR headset.

Having never done AMD before, I am unsure on what motherboards to look at regarding the limitations of the various models and the specific limitations seen in the X3D, such as PBO, undervolting etc. Looking to build out in a O11 Air Mini with 280mm AIO and 4090 FE. Gravitating towards the announced B650 Gaming E from Asus, as I am familiar with Asus, but if lower end boards or mATX versions can provide everything I need to take advantage of the X3D limitations without spending for BIOS functions I would not be able to use, suggestions welcome.

A lot of the AMD "ignorance" I have pertain to things like how many PCIE lanes do I need for my X3D and 4090 FE, MSFS2020 and Forza? A 280mm AIO would chill the thing gaming my specific titles? I only want 2 slots for RAM right? Almost thinking unless need more than 3500MB/s NVME speeds, even the lowest end AM5 MBs might be good-to-go? I run twin NVME m.2 SSDs. And I am aware the Zen4 X3D stuff is not coming to next year, was going to plop in a 7600X for now and resell that once I put an X3D in.

Paul

View: https://youtu.be/gGbHHXCXsAw
OK, you're a little all over the place.

Are you planning to build a system with a 5800x3d OR build a 7600x system to upgrade with a 7800x3d ?

If you're looking for a motherboard for 7000 series i'd wait and see how the B650 boards stack up. We don't currently know anything about x3d for 7000 series. 5800x3d is not able to be modified and there are rumors that 7000 series will not have the voltage limitations of 5000. How many m.2 do you need?

Additionally, I wouldn't blindly jump on a 4090 especially if you're keeping this a few years. AMD is expecting to meet or exceed Nvidia this generation as well as have pcie 5 and Display port 2.0.

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Looking for 7600X now with upgrade to 7800X3D when available. Max 2x NVME SSD slots, and only the GPU will be plugged into the thing.

DLSS is becoming a "thing" in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2D and VR, so not sure I will be going AMD for GPU.

Not being up to speed on AMD, I just wanted to make sure I don't run into any hidden traps like when I built my 9900K and based my CPU decision on Hanbrake encoding speed of 10 bit HEVC files, only to discover later Handbrake doesn't do 10 bit pipeline. I run the 9900K in HT off mode for better performance, so I could've gone with an 9700K instead. I did go with cheap 2666 LPX RAM, which I pushed up to 3600 CL17, so happy to learn AMD memory tuning, BP meds prescription pending.

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
The issue you’ll have as well is the price of ddr5 which is quite high. If I go zen 4 it will probably be the 7700x out similar depending what they release on a b650 board. On the other hand kind of looking at Intel as well.

I was thinking a budget $90 DDR 16GB kit to get by until prices come down enough to get good 6000 CL30 32GB kit. My X3D fixation lies in Flight Sim and VR needing a LOT of L3. Might get 7700X instead of 7600X, will have to evaluate which would depreciate less since I will be simply reselling after a few months unless I take a chill pill and wait a few months like a loser.

Paul

Reactions: ohio_buckeye

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Maybe I should start by asking to start at the bottom rung, say an Asus Prime B650. Would there be obvious issues with getting the most out of the eventual 7800X3D with those, or am I just leaving multiple extra ports and slots on the table I probably don't need. 1x PCIE 5.0 NVME and another PCIE 4.0 NVME as a secondary are fine along with the 4090. I don't do any productivity, and use my Mac for HEVC encoding, and as far as USB ports, I plug a VR headset into a USB Type-C and a few more for mouse and keyboard, never really hook external drives up to my gaming rig, and it also really doesn't require WiFi as it is wired ethernet.

Paul

Maybe I should start by asking to start at the bottom rung, say an Asus Prime B650. Would there be obvious issues with getting the most out of the eventual 7800X3D with those, or am I just leaving multiple extra ports and slots on the table I probably don't need. 1x PCIE 5.0 NVME and another PCIE 4.0 NVME as a secondary are fine along with the 4090. I don't do any productivity, and use my Mac for HEVC encoding, and as far as USB ports, I plug a VR headset into a USB Type-C and a few more for mouse and keyboard, never really hook external drives up to my gaming rig, and it also really doesn't require WiFi as it is wired ethernet.

Paul
The Asus Prime B650 should be fine

Reactions: Paul Anderegg

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Looking like I will need an mATX to work with a 280mm AIO in my O11 Air Mini case I am choosing for reasons such as fits on my 18" deep desk.

Asus TUF Gaming B650M Plus WiFi at $230 looks like where I am going. Anything to look out for here, since it is not an X or even an E board? The PCIE4 is there for the RTX, it has 1x 5.0 NVME and 2x 4.0 NVME SSD mounts.

Will there be a lack of overclocking options and such for AMD on this series of Asus BIOS?

Paul

TUF-GAMING-B650M-PLUS-WIFI.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I am looking at that picture, and realizing the RTX 4090 is a 3.5-4-slot design...can you even put one on an ITX or mATX MB without blocking access to every connector on the lower edge??????

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I ended up going with the TUF B650M afterall. Seeing the performance and the THERMALS for the thinner (anorexthicc) 3-slot Founders Edition 4090 vs the AIBs, I think this was the best fit size wise. Now let me just click refresh at 6AM until...nevermind, 4090 FE sold out within 3 seconds... o_O

Paul