Jul 16, 2021
Hello,

I recently bought a prebuilt PC (Mostly for the GPU) and want to upgrade the cheap/underwhelming parts of it as I want it to last for well into the future.
The problem is I have no clue about part compatibility and even just simple installation, so any and all help is much appreciated

The parts right now are:
Motherboard: MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500X
CPU Cooler: DEEP COOL GAMMAXX L120 V2
GPU: RTX 3070
RAM: 16GB (2 x Lexar® 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz UDIMM )
PS: AeroCool LUX 750W RGB 80 PLUS Bronze
CASE: MSI MAG FORGE 100R

What I want to get, in order of importance:
PS: Corsair RM750x
RAM: G.SKILL 16GB (2x8GB) CL14 3200MHZ (I read that you can also OC it for better performance, wondering if that's possible)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (The PC came with a 500GB M.2 SSD)
CPU Cooler: NOCTUA NH-D15

Also the case has 4 Fans at the moment. 2 of them pulling air in from the mesh front panel, 1 blowing out back from the cpu cooler, and 1 blowing out the top
I want to fit the 120mm top fan as third intake at the front and get 2 140mm fans for the top.

I know that some parts like the CPU cooler is a bit too much but I am looking for quality items that will help this pc last long into the future as well as make it easy to upgrade parts one by one along the way.

Please let me know if the parts I chose will be compatible with the build and if there is anything I should know before installing them. (Special tools, parts, etc..)

Thank you all in advance!

Solution
They’ve already got an amd board….. I would suggest perhaps looking on the lower end a 3600 for the hyper threading, if you have more of a budget, look at the 3700x, or consider a 5600x. You can probably sell the 3500x to recoup some cost. Just keep in mind likely the bios will need updated.

If you did want to go Intel though, the 11400f isn’ta bad option. But you’d be buying a new board and cpu, then essentially rebuilding. Changing both board and cpu would probably deactivate windows, so you might have to figure that out to.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Aside from the storage, I see no significant reason to change anything until later, and/or when there are some limiting factors holding the system back. This (without some deep in depth look) appears to be a well balanced system. Room for a significant CPU upgrade later, perhaps....

Jul 16, 2021
Aside from the storage, I see no significant reason to change anything until later, and/or when there are some limiting factors holding the system back. This (without some deep in depth look) appears to be a well balanced system. Room for a significant CPU upgrade later, perhaps....
The CPU temps run a bit hot, as well as the whole case in general. And that PSU at least according to reviews is a gamble. I think I'd rather be on the safe side.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Admittedly, I am a cheap dude. I hate to spend money on something and then replace it when it isn't broke. After looking at (some) reviews I can see the cause for concern.

The system (ultimately) only needs to work correctly and make you happy in the way it does so. I certainly cannot fault the PSU or RAM choice as I have those in my "main" system as well.

They’ve already got an amd board….. I would suggest perhaps looking on the lower end a 3600 for the hyper threading, if you have more of a budget, look at the 3700x, or consider a 5600x. You can probably sell the 3500x to recoup some cost. Just keep in mind likely the bios will need updated.

If you did want to go Intel though, the 11400f isn’ta bad option. But you’d be buying a new board and cpu, then essentially rebuilding. Changing both board and cpu would probably deactivate windows, so you might have to figure that out to.

Solution