Question Advice / recommendations wanted!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PeterSullivan

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
Windows takes up about 30 GB. That is 3 percent of a 1 TB drive.

An NVMe M.2 drive for the operating system and a 2.5 inch SSD for storage IS a good option.

The question is which of each, particularly as regards size.

Standard procedure would be to put Windows and applications on the NVMe and all else on the SSD.

My own operating system drive is small...only 128 GB and has never been even half full. I don't game.

Gaming aside, do you have even a remote idea of how much storage space you would need? 30 GB for Windows plus what for applications plus what for personal data like mp3s or movies or pictures?

I have no idea if games are best put on the operating system drive. If not, you may be perfectly fine with a much smaller NVMe. And maybe a larger 2.5 inch SSD to hold your games.
Yeah, so from my research it sounds like you only need the games you're playing regularly on the speedy drive - so probably need about 150 / 200 GB of fast storage, and then have settled on 2 TB of slightly slowed SSD storage :)

So think I'm good to go now!!

Thanks to everyone (particularly you and "Why_Me") for all the helpful and insightful responses - would've done this all wrong without your help!!

Reactions: Why_Me

Why_Me

Champion
Yeah, so from my research it sounds like you only need the games you're playing regularly on the speedy drive - so probably need about 150 / 200 GB of fast storage, and then have settled on 2 TB of slightly slowed SSD storage :)

Thanks to everyone (particularly you and "Why_Me") for all the helpful and insightful responses - would've done this all wrong without your help!!
500GB is the norm for Windows SSD these days and 2TB SSD for storage.

Reactions: PeterSullivan

Nighthawk117

Respectable
Sep 27, 2021

NVME makes no perceivable difference for existing video games. It will one day when they make use of Microsoft Direct Storage. However only one game currently does and it doesn't release until next year. I would put all your games on the SATA SSD's for now.

Reactions: PeterSullivan

PeterSullivan

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
@PeterSullivan

Ok we are all on the edge of our seat to see what you ultimately decided on! You have to share pics and everything when it gets to you
Absolutely - will do! Very pleased with it and didn't get buyer's remorse immediately after purchasing - so fingers crossed!

Appreciate the help from everyone who engaged, and want to say again that it's a great community here - thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY