[SOLVED] Advice regarding buying a new gaming PC

Apr 20, 2020
Hello everyone
Hope you all are well, safe and healthy during these times
I've been thinking about buying myself a gaming PC recently.
But let me give you a bit of background story before asking my main question.
I've been a serious PC gamer since the days of floppy disk, and then I suddenly stopped around 2012 or so. I guess I needed a break and had some growing up to do. But right now I really want to get back into PC gaming.
I've been searching around this last couple of weeks and came to conclusion on a build like this:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, RX 5600 XT, 16GB of RAM and so on.
I really target only 1080p gaming and I dont want (really cant) break the bank to go for 1440p or 4K.
On the other hand, I read online that next generation of GPUs from nVidia and AMD are on the horizon, along with new generation of CPUs. RX 6000 series and Ryzen 4000 CPU lineup from AMD could be out in just a few months.

So my main question is this:
If you were me, would you buy a mid range PC right now (given that I have alot of cathing up to do and there are hundreds of games from the last few years really worth playing) or wait for the next generation to come out?
I dont want to buy a PC right now which is no good before the end of 2020, and on the other hand I dont know if it's good idea to wait and see how the next generation gonna turn out, as I may end up postponing everything for at least 6 more months berore deciding on a new build again.

So, any thoughts or suggestions?
Do you think a build like Ryzen 3600x and 5600 XT will be all dead comes 2021 and next gen?
Do you think lack of Ray Tracing support from current AMD lineup would really matter in 2021?
What would you do if you were me?
Please note that even for the next gen, my budget would still be around 1000$ for a gaming PC.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Stay safe

Solution
Next gen GPUs aren't going to be out till after September most likely. And even then, they'll trickle in from the top down with a new model every month or so.

The real concern right now isn't what's on the horizon, it's if you can get decent/ fair pricing on components.

Apr 20, 2020
Next gen GPUs aren't going to be out till after September most likely. And even then, they'll trickle in from the top down with a new model every month or so.

The real concern right now isn't what's on the horizon, it's if you can get decent/ fair pricing on components.

So basically what you are saying is that it will be around Q1 or early Q2 2021 when I can get fair price on good next gen components, right?

With that in mind, is it a good idea to go for Ryzen 5 and RX 5000 now?

Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for your advice guys
This is the rig I'm thinking of buying. Please kindly advice me if there is room to improve it without adding much to the costs

For the CPU, I'm going for Ryzen 5 3600x. I read a lot of reviews and comments regarding 3600 and 3600x and most people recommend 3600x. I dont plan to do major overclocking, probably I will not ever do it. Considering that, is it still a good idea to pay extra for the X? My main use for this PC is going to be 1080p gaming, and probably some streaming gaming like PS plus and stuff like that.

For the Motherboard, I'm going for MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. I choose this specific board because I read online that most motherboards in this price range need bios update to support Ryzen 3000 series. Some support USB flashback and some doesn't. I couldn't find anything better than Tomahawk Max that works hassle-free with Ryzen 5 3600. Any suggestion or improvements here?

For the VGA, I'm going for Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5600 XT. I choose this specific model because of the bios problems that most 5600 XTs are having and as I found out, Sapphire Pulse is the only one that comes with the upgraded bios out of the box. Any suggestions or improvements?

For RAM, I really have no idea. I want 2x8GB 3200MHz, but only if 3200 worth the money for my purposes. Please recommend me a good slot for around 80 bucks. (I'm in Canada so my budget for RAM is around 120CAD)

For Power Supply, I think 650w would be enough?
But I dont really know the difference between gold and bronze and silver certificates. Please give me some advice on this one as well.

I'm choosing a Kingston A400 240GB SATA3 SSD, paired with a 2TB normal HDD. Any suggestions here?

For Monitor, I prefer to invest on a 144HZ 1080p monitor. I'm thinking about MSI Curved Gaming Monitor Optix G24C4 144Hz, 1Ms. Is that a good choice? Is there anything better with the same specs and budget?

I also need a good cooler for the Ryzen 3600 as I read that the stock cooler doesn't do the job. I'm really into this U-Type CPU coolers, preferably dual fan, but do I really need dual fan? Can you recommend me something good? My budget for the cooler is around 80 bucks or 100 to 120CAD.

I also need to choose a case (big enough for everything I'm gonna put inside it but not too big), and I also need a couple of air coolers for inside the case. I really dont care about RGB and I dont want to pay extra for some colors that I probanly wont even like.

Please kindly advice me on any part that you think could improve my rig without adding to the costs.
Thanks and regards

Apr 20, 2020
I'm also wondering if 2060 Super worth it or not?
I know that for 1080p gaming there is no point for paying extra for 2060 Super as 5600 XT really stands up against it in terms of frames per second. The only thing that 2060 has to offer is Ray Tracing, and I'm not sure if Ray Tracing really worth it? And if it does, is 2060 Super good enough for 1080p max setting and ray tracing enabled? I can go over the budget for this, but I dont want to pay extra for Ray Tracing and still struggle in games when I'm enabling it.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($255.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: HP EX950 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($106.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Evoke OC Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($114.43 @ Vuugo)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM 53 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.71 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272C 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor ($339.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1702.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-27 12:54 EDT-0400

That mobo is guaranteed to ship with a Ryzen 3000 BIOS and has built-in WiFi.
MSI's "max" series mobos are also guaranteed to ship with Ryzen 3000 BIOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bbusyz
Solution
Apr 20, 2020
Thanks @tennis2 @GarrettL

I can't decide the GPU
I think RX 5700 would be too much power for 1080p gaming, isn't it?
I'm stuck between 2060 Super, 5600XT and 5700 really
If I gonna skip Ray Tracing, I think 5600 XT is a better choice.
Is 2060 Super really struggling at 1080p when RTX is on? Or can I get a playable FPS on Single Player games?
I'm really looking forward to Crysis Remastered but I dont even know if 2060 Super can run it at 1080p max settings and RTX on 🤕
I watched youtube videos and read reviews and it seems that 2060 Super can handle current ray tracing games without any problem. But I'm not sure if the youtube vids can be trusted or not.

Apr 20, 2020
I would agree that the 5600XT is a fantastic 1080p GPU. I was just illustrating what you can get at the top end of your budget.

Yeah you are right
And I think 2GB extra RAM on 5700 would help in the future.
I'll probably choose a 24 inch monitor to save 60-70 bucks and either choose 5700 or 5700 XT depending on the price at the time of purchase. I'm leaning more toward 5700 XT though
Do you think MSI 5700 XT MECH is a good variant? It's not triple fan and some people on other forums said to avoid MSI AMD GPUs. Is that right or it's a good card? MSI MECH is more budget friendly