Question Advice regarding potential new buy

Azamato

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hey lads

So next year (around april) I'm going to Japan to study for about a year in one of their universities. Obviously I can't take my gaming PC with me.. I have a Macbook Pro 13 right now that I bought back in 2016 and I'm very happy about it. Since I'm a photographer and edit a lot and plan to do so in Japan daily it has never disappointed me in my work. However, I like to play games as well. Idk if I can take a one year break from that to be honest..

I bought the macbook because unlike other laptops, it's small and light and feels like i'm just taking out a book from my backpack and not a heavy lanky machine

Now my question is, would it be worth selling this MBP and maybe buy a gaming laptop for that study abroad year..? I know this may be about "if u wanna game then do it.." but I'm just wondering if it would be a smart move or a waste of money. The macbook is great, I love the design and all but obviously you can't play games on it. I would go for a MSI GL63 or something like that since (it seems) that it's also pretty small and light compared to other 15.6 inches. (I'd prefer 14" but I can't afford Razer). Selling this one would make my low budget of around 1100 euro here in Belgium.

But should I even bother? Will the other system handle my photography editing and daily school work? Will I regret having to carry around a heavy and big machine with me or is the Macbook Pro just too good to be replaced just for the sake of gaming? Is there something you guys recommend me ? The ideal would be a Razer Blade 14 but yeah.. the budget is just not there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Whcih MBP do you have exactly?

If you can utilize an external GPU enclosure, that might be the best of both options.... Not necessarily the cheapest, of course, but still gets you the light/portable nature of the MBP and the ability to game when docked...