Question Advice regarding powering my 200mm case-fan's LEDs ?

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Hey everyone,

I'm running a 200mm case fan on my PC that I never bothered to hook up the LEDs. Upon servicing the fan recently and reinstalling, I decided to connect them with the intention of powering them via the switch on my PC case; I'd rather not have them constantly on. I already have 2 front fans hooked up to the switch and want to connect the 200mm fan's LED connector to it using an adapter (single 3-pin to dual 2-pin headers which I already have. I have already checked and both front fans as well as the 200mm require 12V. Am I risking damaging my PC or fan if I hook up 2 fans to 1 LED connector? Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ruben

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm running a 200mm case fan on my PC that I never bothered to hook up the LEDs. Upon servicing the fan recently and reinstalling, I decided to connect them with the intention of powering them via the switch on my PC case; I'd rather not have them constantly on. I already have 2 front fans hooked up to the switch and want to connect the 200mm fan's LED connector to it using an adapter (single 3-pin to dual 2-pin headers which I already have. I have already checked and both front fans as well as the 200mm require 12V. Am I risking damaging my PC or fan if I hook up 2 fans to 1 LED connector? Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ruben
Which fans ?
Some have only single color light while there are also RGB and ARGB fans.

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Post a link to the 200mm fan all of those I have seen if the fan is on the LED is on.
Never seen one with separate power wires.

EDIT
No LED On/Off function support
You learn something new every day as they say. I really appreciate the clarification, I assumed any case fan LEDs can simply be turned on/off via switch. I'm going to hook the LEDs up anyway to see if I like it constantly on or not. Thanks again.

Ruben

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
How do you think you can "hook the LEDs up anyway to see if I like it constantly on or not"? The modern fans with LED's in their frames all have separate cables for the fan MOTOR and the LIGHTS, and these go to different mobo headers. Your fan has only ONE cable to a fan header. Your fan is an older design called LED Fan. Inside it, the LED's in the frame are simply connected in parallel with the MOTOR power supply wires. So they SHOULD light up any time the fan is running. They may be fainter when the fan is running slowly and get bright only at high speed, but they always should be on. Are they NOT on any time?

Reactions: CountMike
Don't know if this will help, but here goes.
What case are you using? It sounds like a CoolerMaster Sniper of HAF case from some time ago (I am using a Sniper). If this is true, there should be a lead specifically for your LED connection on that fan and a lead from the front of the case; uses a small white 2 pin connector and is or was labeled "LED Only". That lead goes directly to the combination LED/Fan speed connector: big push button for the lights and rheostat dial for the fans - on the top front of the case.

The original equipment 200mm fans are no longer available at any reasonable cost (CM no longer has them, nor Newegg) and All the replacement fans that I have found are "all on or all off" as far as the LEDs are concerned.
Good Luck.