[SOLVED] Advice requested for Budget Gaming $300, have hd, os & peripherals

Dante3214

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Hello everyone!

I was about to order a barebones system from portatech, as I wanted to find a place that would build it for me without me having to buy components I already have.
Their price was about 270 for a ryzen 2400g, 8g of ddr4, along with a cheap psu, mobo and case. I would have ordered it already had I been able to get their site working (tried multiple browsers with no success).

Since they don't seem to be an option atm I wanted to see if I can get something similar despite my very restrictive budget?

I already have a 1tb hd with windows 10 and a psu, along with keyb monitor mouse and headphones.

I am looking at using a ryzen 2200g or 2400g for the integrated graphics and just a single stick of 8g ddr4 to start with.

I think I just need a mobo, apu, case and ram. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

Solution
In this case, I would likely do comparative shopping between Newegg and Amazon. You should be able to score a case worth using sub $40, a deal on a 450-ish watt power supply in the sub $40 and often closer to 25-30 range. Your proc and mobo should be doable for $180, leaving $40 to find some RAM with. The issue there will be finding something 2933mhz, and that iGPU will want fast RAM.

I might suggest you consider scouring for some used deals local, and might even consider "benchtop" build for a moment, assuming you can make some money within a short time to finish up the build.
In my own suggestion, where buying a single 8GB stick of RAM will actually slow you down short term (single vs dual channel) it will be an advantage if you can...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In this case, I would likely do comparative shopping between Newegg and Amazon. You should be able to score a case worth using sub $40, a deal on a 450-ish watt power supply in the sub $40 and often closer to 25-30 range. Your proc and mobo should be doable for $180, leaving $40 to find some RAM with. The issue there will be finding something 2933mhz, and that iGPU will want fast RAM.

I might suggest you consider scouring for some used deals local, and might even consider "benchtop" build for a moment, assuming you can make some money within a short time to finish up the build.
In my own suggestion, where buying a single 8GB stick of RAM will actually slow you down short term (single vs dual channel) it will be an advantage if you can pony up quickly to get a matching stick. If you are not going to be able to buy some more RAM quickly, I would highly suggest 2x4 on the RAM such that you can leverage dual channel mode.

Reactions: Dante3214
Solution

Dante3214

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019

In my own suggestion, where buying a single 8GB stick of RAM will actually slow you down short term (single vs dual channel) it will be an advantage if you can pony up quickly to get a matching stick. If you are not going to be able to buy some more RAM quickly, I would highly suggest 2x4 on the RAM such that you can leverage dual channel mode.

Thanks! I will definitely go the 2x4 route as dual channel makes sense and I'm broke like a joke. I'll check between both sites and see what I can put together. I may even be able to use my previous psu, but I have to make sure it actually works still.

I've been living off a smartphone for a few months now after making a new start for myself, so I'm beyond ready for a pc again.

Thanks for the advice

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
I know you marked this as solved but what about this? I know you said you have a psu but from everything I've read on here unless it is a decent quality it could die and take other parts with it. Could probably get it under 300 with 8gb of ram. I was in the position you were in years ago when I built my first pc. My budget was a bit bigger but I had no peripherals or parts. Good luck.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($41.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $326.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-10 20:13 EDT-0400

Reactions: Dante3214

Dante3214

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
I know you marked this as solved but what about this? I know you said you have a psu but from everything I've read on here unless it is a decent quality it could die and take other parts with it. Could probably get it under 300 with 8gb of ram. I was in the position you were in years ago when I built my first pc. My budget was a bit bigger but I had no peripherals or parts. Good luck.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($41.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $326.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-10 20:13 EDT-0400

This is more or less exactly what I had in mind. I wasn't exactly sure what parts would be compatible though so this is great.

You have a point about the power supply. I suspect that could have been what killed the mobo but who knows?

Thanks.