Question Advice Requested on VPN Service Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I am researching VPNs for my father. I have done some general research on VPNs and after looking at multiple top 10 VPN ratings lists with different recommendations, I have narrowed the selection to Nord VPN, Surfshark, and Express VPN. I have looked at one or two web pages comparing these VPNs, but I am not very familiar with VPNs overall. The main purpose for the VPN will be for home use for safe and secure browsing, email, and streaming TV, movies, and music on our computers, smartphones, and tablets. My father will also be doing business work through the home VPN handling important business information as well as traveling both domestically and internationally, so a VPN that can due the previously mentioned activities safely, securely, and reliably while traveling is also important. Again, I am no expert on VPNs, the three mentioned VPNs seem to be good candidates overall with my understanding that Surfshark allows the use of an unlimited number of devices while the other two VPNs offer only a limited number of device connections. I know that there are dozens of VPN choices out there, but my question is if these three mentioned VPNs would be good enough for our needs or do you recommend any alternative VPNs. I am trying to get the best information possible so that my father can make a decision on which VPN service to use.

Thanks.

dat789

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2013
You can use the internet safely and securely without VPN -- private browsing (to some extend), managing your browsing cookies, adjusting your browser's setting to blocking tracking and/or scripts, using password managers, adhere to cyber security best practices, be mindful of what you download and what websites you'd visit, etc.

I have used VPN to access different contents from Netflix -- that's about all the useful thing there is for me. Some times ad banners are shown to me based on the selected VPN country, which are not relevant to me.

So, reiterating USAFret's question -- what is it, really, you/dad will be using it for?

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Following standard privacy practices like keeping the laptop in a secure location, keeping the laptop password or fingerprint locked (if the laptop has that feature), if your father is going to a country like China then a VPN would be suitable, yes. I have used VPN's over time and I don't see them as really neccesary due to everything nowadays running on HTTPS meaning that each website to visit is already encrypted, the ISP or anyone looking on your network just sees what website you accessed.

If the laptop has Windows 10/11 then the security within the laptop should be enough.

If you follow common sense I don't see why a VPN is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.