Advice required picking out a PSU

AH88

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Hey,

Need some help to pick out a PSU for a H81 mobo running a GTX 750TI & an i5 4430. Running 1 SSD and 1 HDD.

I can't spend any more than £50.. I'd prefer under £40. I'm not sure what wattage I need really. Obviously I won't be over-clocking with that set up, the i5 isn't too power hungry and the GTX 750TI is notoriously good on power consumption so can I probably get away with 400w maybe? My thinking there is that I can get a lower wattage PSU of a better build. I saw a Seasonic 430w that was about £45..

At the moment I've got two power supplies, a CiT 500w and a WinPower 450w. So uh, yeah obviously not the greatest things around and I don't really want to use them in my new build.

However having said that, I'm a little skeptical on PSU reviews. Those two are supposedly rated as "junk" and should be avoided at all costs. Except I've had this WinPower PSU for getting on 7 years now powering a GeForce 8600GTS & Core2Duo E6750 with no problems as far as I can tell. It struggles to power any more than 5 HDDs though.

Thanks for your help!

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Solution
My advice:
Buy only a quality psu.
A cheap psu can become very expensive if it fails under load.
It will not have sufficient protective circuitry and can damage anything it is connected to.
The recommendations for Seasonic and XFX are good.
Your GTX750ti is a very power efficient unit and does not need aux power. A good 300w unit may well serve.
I recommend you invest in a good and strong psu that will allow you to do a graphics upgrade in the future. 550w to 650w.
A overprovisioned psu will only use what it is demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability. In the process, it will run quieter and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
Here is a tiered list of psu quality:
https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx?Redirected=true

AH88

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Thanks for all the replies!

This is the first I've heard of "Haswell certified" PSUs before.. Never took into consideration that certain PSUs might not sit right with different types of components! Think I'll do a bit of reading.

I did spot that EVGA originally when I was thinking I needed 500w. Never heard of EVGA building PSUs before so wasn't sure what to think..

Seasonic and XFX still make quality power supplies though... Does it need to be Haswell certified (other than the "safety" measure)?

TRENDING THREADS