Advice: Should I buy an ASUS Strix 17" (i5 with GTX 1060 6GB) or an Acer Predator 15" (i5 with GTX980M 8GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoFunny

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Hi guys, I need an advice. Of course if we take in consideration the title seems obvious that I should choose the ASUS because of the GTX 1060.

But, the Acer Predator 15 have very resistent body and it seems much more durable. Also it is much cooler than the ASUS and I've heard that too much heating can screw with the processor, gpu and other components along the years, so the Acer seems to be a good option too.

But in the other hand the ASUS Strix have a GTX1060 6GB, also is much lighter than the Acer, 2 lbs less. My only con is that it gets really hot in the middle of the keyboard, around 122 F (50 C). There's no throttling but I am concerned about that thing I've talked above... durability...

So, what do you guys suggest ?

Appreciate any help.

Configs below:

Sound quality, input ports, touch pad and keyboards have basically equal notes so, not to be considered. Battery Life is optional since for gaming I will use it plugged in.

ASUS Strix GL702VM-GC003T

• - 17" Screen IPS FHD
    - Intel i5-6300HQ
    - 8 GB DDR4 RAM
    - 128 GB SSD
    - 1 TB 7200 rpm Storage Drive
    - NVIDIA GTX1060 6 GB GDDR5 VRAM
    - 5,9 lbs

Acer Predator 15"

• - 15" Screen IPS FHD
    - Intel i5-6300HQ
    - 8 GB DDR4 RAM
    - 256 GB SSD
    - 1 TB 7200 rpm Storage Drive
    - NVIDIA GTX980M 8 GB DDR5 VRAM
    - 7,9 lbs

Solution
Is it really 1060 and not 1060m? I know that you CAN put a desktop GPU in a Laptop, but usually people don;t do that.. precisely because of heat and battery drain.

It is surprising to me that the 15'' is lighter than the 17''. Perhaps it speaks of better/more expensive build material in the ASUS. You have not said a thing about what you want to use it for. Do you want to just put it in your room and use it as a desktop (perhaps build a desktop?) or carry it around. In that case, I would go for the Acer.

It is because the 15'' is easier to fit into a bag, also the 980m will not be as hard on the battery as the 1060 (IF it really is 1060, not 1060m). The 2 lbs should not be toooo much, if you use a backpack, for example.

I don't...

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Is it really 1060 and not 1060m? I know that you CAN put a desktop GPU in a Laptop, but usually people don;t do that.. precisely because of heat and battery drain.

It is surprising to me that the 15'' is lighter than the 17''. Perhaps it speaks of better/more expensive build material in the ASUS. You have not said a thing about what you want to use it for. Do you want to just put it in your room and use it as a desktop (perhaps build a desktop?) or carry it around. In that case, I would go for the Acer.

It is because the 15'' is easier to fit into a bag, also the 980m will not be as hard on the battery as the 1060 (IF it really is 1060, not 1060m). The 2 lbs should not be toooo much, if you use a backpack, for example.

I don't really know. Out of the blue I would tend for the Acer, but if I had to actually PAY for it, I would probably consider it a lot more as well :).

Btw. what about the battery? Is it replaceable? That is a big question. Heat will mostly affect the battery, more so than the CPU etc. AND, batteries tend to be the first things that a laptop needs to have replaced. So, which is easier replaced? Btw. what are the battery run times?

Cheers.

Solution

BrunoFunny

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
The idea is to use this laptop for both gaming and development. And yes, it's a desktop GTX 1060 not a M.

About the battery, I've noticed that the battery of the Asus is placed rear next to the copper pipes. So it can degrade battery life. About being easy of not to replace for me is not a point since I'm used to deal with electronics lol =D

Yeah the Acer Predator 15 is heavier because it's to be the main competitor for the Alienware series, by the way Alienware vs Predator lol. And yes the Asus have less quality in it's build.

I think I already did my choice :)

I'll go with the Acer it seems to be more durable than tha Asus.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS