Question Advice? To build or not to build?

David Mather

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
So I have had a few years where i haven't been gaming much on my pc, but for a while now I have been getting a bit more back in to it. I then thought about wanting to upgrade my monitors and with that move up to 1440p gaming (1080p secondary monitor).

My current pc which is about 6 years old now is built with the following:
Intel core 8700k
Asrock Z370 extreme4
EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080 SC Gaming 8gb
16gb ram 2666 mhz
Samsung 850 SSD 250gb (windows)
2 tb seagate barracuda HDD
Corsair RM650x PSU

I have been quite happy with the use I have had from this pc, but I am worried if it will be able to run games at 1440p with a secondary monitor at reasonably decent fps and settings?

I'm from Denmark and components seem quite expensive here at the moment for a decent upper midrange build, so I was wondering if I should be able to go with this setup for a little while longer?

Lutfij

Titan
If you were on a DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit with tight timings you could eek out some performance out of the existing platform but for the higher resolution and details, you would be looking at a higher end GPU and a PSU upgrade as well.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I have had a few years where i haven't been gaming much on my pc, but for a while now I have been getting a bit more back in to it. I then thought about wanting to upgrade my monitors and with that move up to 1440p gaming (1080p secondary monitor).

Intel core 8700k
Asrock Z370 extreme4
16gb ram 2666 mhz
Corsair RM650x PSU

I have been quite happy with the use I have had from this pc, but I am worried if it will be able to run games at 1440p with a secondary monitor at reasonably decent fps and settings?

I'm from Denmark and components seem quite expensive here at the moment for a decent upper midrange build, so I was wondering if I should be able to go with this setup for a little while longer?
The 2nd monitor not used for gaming will make almost no difference.

Fairly simple buy the new monitor and see how you like it before spending any more on the PC.

Some games are cpu limited and some are graphics limited.
My suggestion is to buy the monitor you really want and see how you do.
A good monitor is a long term investment, bust your budget if you must to get a good one.
A higher resolution monitor can always run at a reduced resolution if needed.
Keeping a side monitor for static stuff like email or performance monitors is very useful and takes nothing away from gaming.

Also, if you need more cpu capability, a I7-8700K and a Z370 based motherboard can be overclocked.
Virtually any 8700K can run at 4.90
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

You might need a better cooler.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Intel core 8700k
Asrock Z370 extreme4
16gb ram 2666 mhz
Corsair RM650x PSU

Since you already have the PC and you plan on upgrading if it doesn't meet your needs, why not just move up to 1440p gaming and then evaluate whether or not you're happy with the performance, and if you're not, whether it appears to be the CPU or GPU that's more limiting in your games? This would give you more information to use when deciding your upgrade priorities.