[SOLVED] Advice upgrading pc components

Jan 11, 2020
Hey guys so im for the first time in the country and im trying to upgrade my pc. Currently I have:
Motherboard Asus B85-pro gamer
Ram 2x4gb Fury hiperx DDR3
Intel Core i5 4460
AMD RX 580 8GB

Wich compatible cpu should I buy and should I buy new ddr4 ram? Thank you I'm afraid of buying something coming back from my vacation and finding out I didnt choose correctly.

Solution
1st, you can't use DDR 4 memory on that motherboard. It has to be DDR3. And yes, 16GB is the new min standard today. So filling in those other 2 x empty DIMM slots with another pair of matched sticks would be good.

The CPU support list for that board shows you which processor are compatible and if a BIOS update is required. If funds allow, I would get the fastest you can still find (they are all obsolete and may have inflated prices). The i7-4770 up to the 4790K would be a nice improvement. Even staying with another 4c/4t i5 like the 4670K or 4690K would be OK, but for a more noticeable improvement you are better off staying with one of the 4c/8t i7 processors.

Personal note: I still have a Asus B85M-E/CSM board with a...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
1st, you can't use DDR 4 memory on that motherboard. It has to be DDR3. And yes, 16GB is the new min standard today. So filling in those other 2 x empty DIMM slots with another pair of matched sticks would be good.

The CPU support list for that board shows you which processor are compatible and if a BIOS update is required. If funds allow, I would get the fastest you can still find (they are all obsolete and may have inflated prices). The i7-4770 up to the 4790K would be a nice improvement. Even staying with another 4c/4t i5 like the 4670K or 4690K would be OK, but for a more noticeable improvement you are better off staying with one of the 4c/8t i7 processors.

Personal note: I still have a Asus B85M-E/CSM board with a i7-4770 and GTX 1070 in it. Still a powerful gamer at the low 1080p/60Hz gaming I do. Ultra settings in every game.

Reactions: Valdir
Solution
Jan 11, 2020

Personal note: I still have a Asus B85M-E/CSM board with a i7-4770 and GTX 1070 in it. Still a powerful gamer at the low 1080p/60Hz gaming I do. Ultra settings in every game.
Thank you SO much, I was searching my motherboard info and it says dual ddr3, I alredy have 2x4gb Fury ram, should I buy 2x4gb more? or I can only put 2x8gb in it? And for the last. Wich 4c/8t i7 do you recommend? The price is not a problem, because I would pay double in my country other wise

edit: I found this https://www.amazon(.)com/-/es/Intel-Core-i7-4790-BX80646I74790-reacondicionado/dp/B07PW9CS5Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=Core+i7-4790K&qid=1578786376&sr=8-1

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The i7-4790K is top of the food chain for that platform, so that would be the processor to aim for. Drop lower only if prices are too outlandish.

If later you don't mind selling off the 8 sticks of 4GB when you plan to increase to more than 16GB total, adding that second pair of 4's would be fine. But by selling the 2x4 you have now and replacing them with 2x8's gives you the option of an easy upgrade from there in the future (if you keep the platform that long). Depending on what you do with your PC, you may never need more than 16GB system RAM. I don't. I'm either gaming or doing productivity, but never at the same time.

Your link is broken, but it looks like you were looking at a i7-4790. That would be a great upgrade; just a baby step down from the 4690K (and can't be OC'ed). Used? If so... the previous owner not being able to OC it might mean you are getting a better chip than a "K" chip that was carelessly OC'ed.

Reactions: Valdir
Jan 11, 2020
The i7-4790K is top of the food chain for that platform, so that would be the processor to aim for. Drop lower only if prices are too outlandish.

If later you don't mind selling off the 8 sticks of 4GB when you plan to increase to more than 16GB total, adding that second pair of 4's would be fine. But by selling the 2x4 you have now and replacing them with 2x8's gives you the option of an easy upgrade from there in the future (if you keep the platform that long). Depending on what you do with your PC, you may never need more than 16GB system RAM. I don't. I'm either gaming or doing productivity, but never at the same time.

Your link is broken, but it looks like you were looking at a i7-4790. That would be a great upgrade; just a baby step down from the 4690K (and can't be OC'ed). Used? If so... the previous owner not being able to OC it might mean you are getting a better chip than a "K" chip that was carelessly OC'ed.
I added a () to the link because it didnt let me paste the link. Its half the price of a new one and with good reviews (if You won't yo check them)
What is the difference from 4790 and 4790k? And My question for the ram was about the total capacity of My motherboard, I already have 2 slots with 4gb each, is My motherboard allow to use the other 2 slots for another 2 x 4gb each of ram?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Intel-Core-i7-4790-BX80646I74790-reacondicionado/dp/B07PW9CS5Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=Core+i7-4790K&qid=1578786376&sr=8-1

Your link still didn't work, but I fixed it. See above.
That seems a litle bit high in price, but I don't read Spanish so maybe I'm missing something.

The difference between the 4790K and the 4790 is (1) the "K" version can be overclocked, while the non-K version cannot. And (2) a slight difference in performance between the two.

Your board can accept up to 32GB of system memory:
"4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory" (see Specifications)