Advice with my overclocking Q6600

WayneB73

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I'm no expert at overclocking but i did manage to do it.

i have Asus p5q q6600 MO

Intel core 2 quad processor 2.4 GHz

Freezer 7 pro fan

after following guides i found on google i managed to overclock it upto 3.19 Ghz

I'm running 4 Gb Ram

any way it all works pritty fine i havnt had any proplems vus far, my main aim for overclocking was to play my favorute game FM09 and help with the processing time..

What id like help and advise with is, can i over clock any higher safely?, if i do would it even benifit my game performance?, what danager am i putting on my components doing this?,

festerovic

Distinguished
You can overclock safely*, provided you monitor the voltage and heat output of the chip once overclocked. Supposedly, some of the q6600s can hit 3.6 fairly easily. There is a sweet guide in the Overclocking forum here at Toms, did you check it out? *By safe, I mean your chip won't be in danger of frying immediately. Some people say you get reduced lifespan out of an OCd chip, but many here would disagree, or say that it would be irrelevant if your chip were to last years instead of 4.

The benefit to games would be mostly in your mind, unless you have a dual gpu video card, in which case the OC might open up your video card for more performance. You will notice the OC when doing applications stuff, like video encoding, unzipping files, etc. Probably small gains, like 10%.