[SOLVED] Advise for 3900x CPU Cooler

kawzman

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
I’ve done lots of Googling and forum thread reading and I’ve hit a roadblock with my new rig build; CPU cooling. My rig build can be viewed here...https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwFfb8.

I’m going air cooling and I’m not going to OC. The safe option would be the NH-D15 or NH-U12S Chromax Black. I like that Noctua finally provides a non-tan/brown option but I was hoping to get a bling cooler with some addressable RGB, but, you know, Noctua doesn’t do RGB. Yeah, I hear the eye rolls, but I want to pimp my ride.

I looked at the specs for some RGB coolers (below) but I have doubts they’ll keep the 3900x in check temp-wise.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Cooler Master MA610P
Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M

Thoughts? Thanks for the support as always!

Last edited:
Solution
That thing is huge and would hog a lot of real estate. It would make RGB RAM pointless if you can't see it. Cooling results I've found with the H100i are pretty good with the 3900x, less noise too. May not be the absolute best, but I don't need the best.
After finally biting the bullet and recently installing an AIO on my gpu, I have to call out those common misconceptions.
The NH-D15 is more compact than that 240mm AIO.
Heatsink and fan sitting over a specific area of the motherboard VS cpu block, 2 tubes stretching to a radiator - which is basically a long heatsink instead of a blocky tower or 2 - plus it's own fans... no, the AIO takes more real estate.

Less noise? I disagree there too. The Celsius S36's pump at...
I’ve done lots of Googling and forum thread reading and I’ve hit a roadblock with my new rig build; CPU cooling. My rig build can be viewed here...https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LdBw4n.

I’m going air cooling and I’m not going to OC. The safe option would be the NH-D15 or NH-U12S Chromax Black. I like that Noctua finally provides a non-tan/brown option but I was hoping to get a bling cooler with some addressable RGB, but, you know, Noctua doesn’t do RGB. Yeah, I hear the eye rolls, but I want to pimp my ride.

I looked at the specs for some RGB coolers (below) but I have doubts they’ll keep the 3900x in check temp-wise.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Cooler Master MA610P
Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M

Thoughts? Thanks for the support as always!
NH-D15 or 280-360 liquid, none of those CMs would be even close.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 610P is the only one of those options that even comes close to handling the 3900X at a max of 180w, but it's still not enough, as the 3900X can be pushed to consume up to 180w.

Heads up on that Taichi board - the manufacturer tweaked the default bios settings to basically OC the cpu out of the box. It pretty much runs the CPU at the max PBO setting.
When you get it, I'd suggest enabling PBO, but running it on the lowest level - that'll be the closest to what the AMD defaults should be.

kawzman

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
The 610P is the only one of those options that even comes close to handling the 3900X at a max of 180w, but it's still not enough, as the 3900X can be pushed to consume up to 180w.

Heads up on that Taichi board - the manufacturer tweaked the default bios settings to basically OC the cpu out of the box. It pretty much runs the CPU at the max PBO setting.
When you get it, I'd suggest enabling PBO, but running it on the lowest level - that'll be the closest to what the AMD defaults should be.

Phaaze88, yeah, looking at their fan specs, you can tell the quality is inferior to higher-end models from others. Another forum recommended the Scythe Mugen 5 ARGB Plus - http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...argb-plus.html; thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to review the PBO settings.

kawzman

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
Even though the NH-D15 outperforms 240mm AIOs?
Well, ok...
That thing is huge and would hog a lot of real estate. It would make RGB RAM pointless if you can't see it. Cooling results I've found with the H100i are pretty good with the 3900x, less noise too. May not be the absolute best, but I don't need the best.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
After finally biting the bullet and recently installing an AIO on my gpu, I have to call out those common misconceptions.
The NH-D15 is more compact than that 240mm AIO.
Heatsink and fan sitting over a specific area of the motherboard VS cpu block, 2 tubes stretching to a radiator - which is basically a long heatsink instead of a blocky tower or 2 - plus it's own fans... no, the AIO takes more real estate.

Less noise? I disagree there too. The Celsius S36's pump at 100%(recommended) is louder than the NH-D15's fans when they're not being run at max. During normal tasks, I hear that AIO pump over my D15S' fans. At max, they're about even.
That's not even taking into account the AIO's fans.

The NH-D15 isn't the best(raw performance), but I'll be darned if it's not one of the most reliable coolers out there...

Solution