Advise on building my first PC

superboiboi

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, i am planning to build my very first PC soon. the components below are selected based on the reviews i researched on the web( individually ) i will wait for either Zen or Sky Kaby. as for GPU, I will be using my cousin second hand's GTX980

do the spec look decent to you? is the cooler good enough for Zen or Kay Sky? Thank you

https://www.komplett.no/product/814897/datautstyr/hovedkort/intel-socket/asus-z97-a-socket-1150

https://www.komplett.no/product/841415/datautstyr/kabinetterbarebone/midi-tower/fractal-design-define-s-black-window

https://www.komplett.no/product/769223/datautstyr/vifterkjoelingvannkjoeling/cpu-vannkjoeling/corsair-hydro-series-h60-cpu-kjoeler

Solution
Well, since you're going for Kaby lake and/or zen, I can't really say what to choose there, but a quad core CPU would be a solid choice. If it's just for gaming then you won't need to go for the i7's, but rather go for an i5 or whatever AMD comes up with.

As far as ram goes. I'd probably suggest 16 gigs of 1866 Mhz or faster. 8 gigs would probably work, but as games and applications eat more and more RAM, I'd go for 16.

For the CPU cooler. Personally I don't like AIO water coolers. Not because I'm affraid of leakage, but more because I like the looks of a massive heatsink inside my case. If you're going to OC, get a 240mm radiator or a large air cooler. Personally I use the Noctua NH-D14, which keeps my 4690k at about 60 degrees...

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo Superboiboi
Well the things you've listed seems fine. Although if you plan to OC your CPU, you should probably go for a 240mm AIO cooler instead. The cooler is fine, but not the best for OC'ing. Otherwise the build sounds fine so far :)

super_6

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

thank you for your reply! you know i been using my last pc for the last 5 years. so i thought its worth every cent of the investment. so i should invest in a higher-end build. do you have recommendation or to better my new build? my CPU often reach bootmneck. i want a new pc that can work smoothly with multitasking and gaming. thanks

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Well, since you're going for Kaby lake and/or zen, I can't really say what to choose there, but a quad core CPU would be a solid choice. If it's just for gaming then you won't need to go for the i7's, but rather go for an i5 or whatever AMD comes up with.

As far as ram goes. I'd probably suggest 16 gigs of 1866 Mhz or faster. 8 gigs would probably work, but as games and applications eat more and more RAM, I'd go for 16.

For the CPU cooler. Personally I don't like AIO water coolers. Not because I'm affraid of leakage, but more because I like the looks of a massive heatsink inside my case. If you're going to OC, get a 240mm radiator or a large air cooler. Personally I use the Noctua NH-D14, which keeps my 4690k at about 60 degrees celsius under full load.

Solution

super_6

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

thanks man! you are the best!