[SOLVED] Advise on upgrading PC for noise reduction and improving performance

Sep 19, 2019
I would like your advise on my current build: below my current configuration, I was wondering (for a approximative budget max of 600$) how could I improve it : performance wise and making it quiet.

Current system:
  • Motherboard: asrock b85m pro4
  • Hard Disk:
- 1 SSD: kingston ssdnow v300 240gb
- 1 HDD: wd blue 1tb 7200rpm 64mb sata3 wd10ezex
  • PC Case: zalman r1 atx mid tower
  • Power supply: 500W super flower sf-500r14se Silver green fx series
  • Processor: Intel core i5 i5-4690 LGA1150
  • RAM: samsung ram 8gb 2rx8 pc3 12800u
  • Graphic card: sapphire radeon r9 280 oc d5 3gb dual-x
  • CPU cooler: Thermolab Trinity CPU cooler
  • More silent fan for my GPU

I will use it for programming (software & web), illustrator, editing photo & a bit of gaming. What would you recommend?

I was thinking that I could :
  • change the case (anyway it is broken) with a quieter one maybe a Corsair CC-9011077-WW Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition,
  • add 1 more ssd hard disk,
  • replace the case fans with more silents like the Noctua NF-S12A,
  • maybe add a fan speed controller like the SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables,
  • and add 1 or 2 more RAM

Thanks!

Solution
For $50 more than your original budget, this would bring you to the latest gen world with plenty of power for all your requirements both now and for the next 3 to 5 years and if you target the Corsair H100R Silent addition, that would keep sound down.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9qFKHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $656.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and...
For $50 more than your original budget, this would bring you to the latest gen world with plenty of power for all your requirements both now and for the next 3 to 5 years and if you target the Corsair H100R Silent addition, that would keep sound down.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9qFKHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $656.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-19 07:28 EDT-0400

You could of course save substantially if you just upgrade the GPU and get a much better case with better fans...

Solution
I would recommend taking case, case fans, case fan controllers ine step at a time. The case you are purchasing has quiet fans and will dull the sounds coming from inside the machine. After you replace the case, see where the remaining noise is coming from and go from there.

As far as performance, what kind of performance do you need? Is it slow in gaming? Slow in running multiple processes? Slow to load thing?

For good info on quiet computing, go to
www.silentpcreview.com

Noise comes primarily from fans.
Possibly to a lesser extent from mechanical devices like hard drives.

Replacing a hard drive with a ssd makes that component silent.
A 1tb intel 660p is not that expensive. Performance will be better also.

See if you can't identify exactly where the biggest noise contributor comes from.
Put a paper tube to your ear and listen to your parts.

I think your first upgrade for performance and for quiet would be to replace the gpu with a more modern unit which will be stronger and quieter. A GTX1650 would be quieter and a bit stronger.
Since it is also more energy efficient, your psu will not need to work hardly at all and the psu fan should be silent.

Your case is decent. I would mount two 120mm intakes in front and one 120mm exhaust in the rear.
Experiment with slowing them down. Your cpu is not a hot one and using a more efficient gpu will let you run the fans at less than full speed. While there are differences in fans, and noctua is very good, ultimately it is the RPM of the fans that makes noise.

If you are inclined to change out your case, look for one with a 200mm front intake or perhaps two 140mm intakes.
Larger fans push air at lower rom and will be quieter.

Can you place the pc more away from you?
On a desk, in front of your face, it will be noisy.
If you can place it at the side of a desk, on the floor, you will hardly hear it.
There are devices to power up a pc from 10 feet away.

increase ram only if you need to. 16gb is normally all one needs.
If you really want 32 gb, buy a 2 x 16gb kit.
Simply adding another 16gb is not guaranteed to work.

I have not seen a Thermolab Trinity CPU cooler before.
But, with a 135mm fan, it should be quiet and cool as well as you need to.

I see no need for a cpu upgrade, but if you are so inclined, I would look at something like a i5-9400.