[SOLVED] Advise please.........CPU upgrade for smooth video software running?

Jan 29, 2021
Hi Guys, I'm Drew & new to the forum. I'm looking for some advise please on some upgrades to my (now 10yr old) system.
I built my PC back in 2011 and it's been a very reliable unit. Up to now it's only been for the usual Email, YouTube, Internet search stuff but recently I've started using it video editing (Magix Movie Edit Pro) and it sometimes struggles with the processing i.e crashing, lag etc.

Spec:
MB - ASRock N68-VS3 FX
CPU - AMD Phenom ii x 4 965 - 3.4ghz (with stock cooler & it's loud)
RAM: 2 x 4gb 1333MHZ Hyperam
PSU - Cit 650 UB
Storage - WDC WD50 : 500gb (+1tb external Samsung drive)
Windows 10 - 64bit
Case: a cheapo with limited 80mm case fan options :)

I've done some homework & decided on these upgrades -
Sandisk Ultra 3d SSD 500GB -
XMS3 DDR3 2 x 8gb 1600 sticks
Coolermaster 212evo
and a new case - Fractal Focus G so I can get cool air in the front (from the 2x built in 120 fans) & an Arctic P12 PWM in the back as the exhaust.

Now.....processor, the ASRock support shows compatible processors are the Phenom x6 (AM3) or up to the FX 4320 (AM3+). So in my case the obvious option would be something like the 1090T or a 1100t Phenom x6 ? But, reading some of your threads it looks like you guys have used an FX6100 or a 6300 with this MB? Is this possible? and if yes, what option do you recommend?
I must add - overclocking is an option but I'm not savvy with messing around in the BIOS (which according to Speccy is the P1.20 version in my case).

Any advise would be most welcome & many thanks in advance...........Drew

Hi Guys, I'm Drew & new to the forum. I'm looking for some advise please on some upgrades to my (now 10yr old) system.
I built my PC back in 2011 and it's been a very reliable unit. Up to now it's only been for the usual Email, YouTube, Internet search stuff but recently I've started using it video editing (Magix Movie Edit Pro) and it sometimes struggles with the processing i.e crashing, lag etc.

Spec:
MB - ASRock N68-VS3 FX
CPU - AMD Phenom ii x 4 965 - 3.4ghz (with stock cooler & it's loud)
RAM: 2 x 4gb 1333MHZ Hyperam
PSU - Cit 650 UB
Storage - WDC WD50 : 500gb (+1tb external Samsung drive)
Windows 10 - 64bit
Case: a cheapo with limited 80mm case fan options :)

I've done some homework & decided on these upgrades -
Sandisk Ultra 3d SSD 500GB -
XMS3 DDR3 2 x 8gb 1600 sticks
Coolermaster 212evo
and a new case - Fractal Focus G so I can get cool air in the front (from the 2x built in 120 fans) & an Arctic P12 PWM in the back as the exhaust.

Now.....processor, the ASRock support shows compatible processors are the Phenom x6 (AM3) or up to the FX 4320 (AM3+). So in my case the obvious option would be something like the 1090T or a 1100t Phenom x6 ? But, reading some of your threads it looks like you guys have used an FX6100 or a 6300 with this MB? Is this possible? and if yes, what option do you recommend?
I must add - overclocking is an option but I'm not savvy with messing around in the BIOS (which according to Speccy is the P1.20 version in my case).

Any advise would be most welcome & many thanks in advance...........Drew
There is no sense spending money on a long dead platform. There is nothing there worth upgrading. You need a complete new build. The time for upgrading it is waaaaay past. Oh yeah I almost forgot, welcome to the forums newcomer!

Reactions: DrewP150
Jan 29, 2021
There is no sense spending money on a long dead platform. There is nothing there worth upgrading. You need a complete new build. The time for upgrading it is waaaaay past. Oh yeah I almost forgot, welcome to the forums newcomer!
Thanks for the quick reply Archaic59, yeah I understand what your saying, it is an oldie. I was hoping a cheap 6core might be a good idea to speed things up for now until I get funds together for something new.

Thanks for your input.
Drew

Jan 29, 2021
Coming from this platform - "ASRock N68-VS3 FX - AMD Phenom ii x 4 965 " - you really need a whole new PC.
Anything that would be compatible with the motherboard won't really be much of an upgrade.
Thanks for your comment USAFret, unfortunately in the current situation I've not got the funds for a new system. I was hoping a "used" 6 core would see me through until I can plan a new build.
Cheers, Drew

Thanks for the quick reply Archaic59, yeah I understand what your saying, it is an oldie. I was hoping a cheap 6core might be a good idea to speed things up for now until I get funds together for something new.

Thanks for your input.
Drew
Like I said, you'd be putting money into a dead platform. It just does not make sense. Use it as is until you can gather funds for a new build. This is my best recommendation.

Reactions: DrewP150
Jan 29, 2021
Get a video editor that can use hardware acceleration , if magix doesn't, and get yourself a cheap GPU that has hardware acceleration , if the one you have now doesn't.
Even a gtx 650 can handle converting/rendering HD video easily.

Scrubbing, skipping through footage quickly, will always be very demanding especially as resolution goes up and an SSD will help a lot there but don't expect it to give you faster speeds at anything else.

Jan 29, 2021
Get a video editor that can use hardware acceleration , if magix doesn't, and get yourself a cheap GPU that has hardware acceleration , if the one you have now doesn't.
Even a gtx 650 can handle converting/rendering HD video easily.

Scrubbing, skipping through footage quickly, will always be very demanding especially as resolution goes up and an SSD will help a lot there but don't expect it to give you faster speeds at anything else.
Thanks for your input Terry. I forgot to mention in the initial specs - i have a Sapphire Radeon 1GB HD 6450 installed. I'll have to look into the hardware acceleration, I've not changed any of the settings since it was installed, I didn't have a need to. Many thanks,
Drew

TRENDING THREADS