Question Advises for new server build under 1000EUR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Hello guys,

A friend just asked me my input in a server he is building for his office.

The parts he sent me are in here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsCXbh

Add 150EUR to the total for the operating system.

What do you think of the motherboard and the CPU?
Regarding RAM, 3200Mhz is good for a server? And by experience, do you think 16GB is enough?
And for storage, maybe an SSD with more read/write speeds can be an advantage in a server?

Thank you,
Lucky

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Good morning everyone,

I talked to him and he is chosing a complete build instead of a NAS.
My opinion, and what i told him is that a NAS could serve him better; but he has a person that gives him support for the other computers in his office, and that person doesn't work with NAS.

As i never had a NAS, i couldn't assure him with certainty that the software he wants to run would run on the NAS without loss of perfomance and/or other issues.

With this in mind, i need to pick him a CPU and a motherboard to complete his build - can you help me here guys?

Many thanks for all the help!

Lucky
What are the rest of the parts so far?
Any preference, Intel vs AMD?

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
Have any justification for that rather bold statement?
Intels skylake is crap and so are the successors in terms of efficiency increase, the older intel cpus my consume more power than skylake but they are cheaper than skylake and the lower end mobo didnt have theyre features completely stripped like nowadays, the old amd cpus are crap because well theyre crap like for instance the disaster that was the fx series but the ones from the lga 775 era were actually pretty decent but they seem to be a bit overpriced for me atleast.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Intels skylake is crap and so are the successors in terms of efficiency increase, the older intel cpus my consume more power than skylake but they are cheaper than skylake and the lower end mobo didnt have theyre features completely stripped like nowadays, the old amd cpus are crap because well theyre crap like for instance the disaster that was the fx series but the ones from the lga 775 era were actually pretty decent but they seem to be a bit overpriced for me atleast.

@idkwhattonamethisacc This is your last post in the thread. You've taken it far off topic and clearly you do not have an understanding of what the OP needs. I suggest that you maybe take a break and learn more about systems before trying to dive in and help people, and especially please avoid complicated problems.

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
What are the rest of the parts so far?
Any preference, Intel vs AMD?

I prefer AMD, have a 3900X in my desktop and love it. My friend doesn't have preferences, but he is inclined to Intel.

As i said previously, i'm updating this thread with the most recent build. It's not really a server, its more like a budget desktop.
I listened to you and the "server" is not going to have much workload - thus the i5-9400F and the mobo.
I spent a bit more in the power supply and the HDDs for safety.

These are the parts i chose:

Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9GHz
1​
132.05​
Mb Gigabyte B365m Ds3h Lga1151 4ddr4 6st6 D-sub D.
1​
74.4​
DIMM KINGSTON 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ CL16 HYPERX FURY BLACK
1​
51.9​
Disco 3.5 1TB WD Gold 128Mb SATA 6Gb/s 72rp
2​
83.3​
Fonte Semi Modular Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold
1​
73.89​
Phanteks Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass Preto
1​
50.82​

Which totals 549,66 Eur.

I think all parts are compatible, what do you think?

Thank you everyone

TRENDING THREADS