[SOLVED] Aero 15x not working with 2 sticks of RAM ?

shadow7

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
I have a Gigabyte Aero 15x v8 i7-8750h Laptop which came with 32 gb of ram (2 x 16GB).
The computer was working fine for years with the exception of the camera which never worked and I thought might be a BIOS issue.
So I recently updated the BIOS from the Gigabyte website. After that, all I got was a black screen, it wouldn't even go to BIOS.

After much trial and error I was able to get the computer to work if I removed one of the 16GB RAM sticks.
I tried both 16GB sticks individually in each of the DIMM slots so I know both DIMM slots work and both 16GB cards work, plus they were both working together previously.
But now, for some reason, the computer will NOT work with both of them in.

I even tried both of the BIOS updates that Gigabyte has on their website for the Aero 15x, the FB0A & EC F008 and also the FB08 & EC F007, with the same exact results.
How could these both work in either slots and used to work together but now I can only run a single one at a time?
I contacted Gigabyte and told them their BIOS isn't working, awaiting reply.

(BTW, got the camera working by downloading something called AMCAP from their website and rebooting, not sure why that wasn't on the computer to begin with).

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Out of curiosity, can you disconnect from the wall, remove the battery and ram and then press and hold down the laptop's power button to drain any charge off the laptop? You might want to break out an eraser and wipe the gold fingers on the sticks of ram and wipe them clean before dropping them into the laptop. Might want to drop the ram into the laptop, wait for OS to boot up and then shut down, remove battery and drain power, then drop the second stick of ram into the laptop.

See if that helps.

As for your drivers, you're advised to install all relevant drivers off Gigabyte's support site manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator as opposed to letting the OS do the sourcing and installation...

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, can you disconnect from the wall, remove the battery and ram and then press and hold down the laptop's power button to drain any charge off the laptop? You might want to break out an eraser and wipe the gold fingers on the sticks of ram and wipe them clean before dropping them into the laptop. Might want to drop the ram into the laptop, wait for OS to boot up and then shut down, remove battery and drain power, then drop the second stick of ram into the laptop.

See if that helps.

As for your drivers, you're advised to install all relevant drivers off Gigabyte's support site manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator as opposed to letting the OS do the sourcing and installation for your laptop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS