[SOLVED] Aerocool Cylon 400W just.... stopped.

Apr 18, 2020
I am building a PC with the components below:

ASRock B450Pro4 motherboard
A10-9700 APU
16GB ADATA DDR4 RAM
Aerocool Cylon 400W PSU

When it was all connected up, the fans started but it failed to boot. Tried it with the RAM removed, still nothing (no beeps etc). After about five tries, it stopped doing anything when I hit the power switch - no fans, nothing. However, the LEDs on the case (powered through one of the USB connectors) still show there's power coming from the PSU. When I try another PSU (FSP ATX-350 I had lying around), the fans satrt up although it still fails to boot. Any ideas what could be causing this?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Here's the compatibility list for your motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#CPU

Many manufacturers removed BIOS support for old Bristol Ridge processors in their 400 series motherboards. It's always important to check this list when making a purchase; same socket absolutely does not mean compatibility (and it's always been this way).

I'd go ahead and return the Aerocool PSU anyway. Like most low-end Aerocools, it's an ancient design with cheap parts and in this case, just some RGB slapped in (slapping in some RGB lights is a lot easier than using a quality PSU design, so you see this a lot among the dodgier brands). It's probably no better than your current FSP and possibly even worse.

Apr 18, 2020
Here's the compatibility list for your motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#CPU

Many manufacturers removed BIOS support for old Bristol Ridge processors in their 400 series motherboards. It's always important to check this list when making a purchase; same socket absolutely does not mean compatibility (and it's always been this way).

I'd go ahead and return the Aerocool PSU anyway. Like most low-end Aerocools, it's an ancient design with cheap parts and in this case, just some RGB slapped in (slapping in some RGB lights is a lot easier than using a quality PSU design, so you see this a lot among the dodgier brands). It's probably no better than your current FSP and possibly even worse.

Strange, the motherboard manual still has instructions for Bristol Ridge processors (presumably a copy/paste somewhere)... well that explains that, at least! Unfortunately using the old PSU isn't an option, as it's so old all the power connectors are Molex rather than SATA. I'll check the outputs from the Aerocool once I get my hands on a voltmeter, but if it has died within hours I'll be very disappointed... I wasn't expecting it to be particularly high performance, but I didn't think a day's serviceability is too much to ask for! (although it must be an older model as they haven't even added the LEDs to jazz it up)