Question AeroCool MX 700W Semi Modular - High Pitch Noise

Nov 5, 2019
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help. I have recently built a PC with an AeroCool MX 700 W 80+Silver Semi Modular PSU.

When the PSU is switched on and the motherboard is drawing power from the PSU (in standby or powered on) there is a high pitch squealing sound coming from the PSU. I sent the unit back on RMA, got another one delivered to my place of work today, connected it to another PC and it does exactly the same thing.

Is this PSU just junk, and perhaps I should return it again and get a refund, or is there some way of mitigating this horrendous high pitch noise coming from the PSU?

Many thanks

J

Nov 5, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

It was a pretty budget build to be honest, so I didn't want to go wild spending money.

I think it's coil whine too, which agreed is harmless but no good for my ears! Is there anything I can do to tone it down or is it something I just have to live with?

Many thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sounds like coil whine - not inherently a problem, but far from ideal.

As for the PSU itself, I haven't seen any definitive review on it - and nothing on long-term reliability or truly stressing it under load/temps etc.
Based on track record, I wouldn't think it's particularly good.
AeroCool units are usually from HEC or Andyson, and built to a pricepoint.

From what I can see, that specific unit retails for comfortably <50quid in the UK.
A competitor unit in the 700W range, of known, proven quality & reliability typically retails for >80quid.
Some examples: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/JfBrxr,Tsbkcf,Zzkj4D,6Y66Mp/

So, while price alone doesn't necessarily confirm anything, if you can sell an offering for 50-60% of what your larger scale competitors can do.... You know they've cut corners somewhere.

Nov 5, 2019
Understood. Was really just trying to avoid the hassle of returning yet another PSU and being without a PC. As well as playing a few games I also work from home on occasions, so it's inconvenient.

I could buy a Corsair 550w modular. I just didn't want to go crazy on the money, but the noise really is driving me insane.

Nov 5, 2019
Not sure on the model yet. I was going to have a shop around later this evening.

Was going to leave the AeroCool plugged in and running all night. See if it would quite down after some heat and load has gone through it, but I don't hold out much hope.

A real shame as it came with every cable I needed including molex for the fans....

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I could buy a Corsair 550w modular. I just didn't want to go crazy on the money, but the noise really is driving me insane.

What components are you running?

A quality PSU doesn't have the break the bank.... but you do want it to be adequate for the components you have.

A real shame as it came with every cable I needed including molex for the fans....

Any PSU would have the appropriate cables if you bought based on your needs.
Molex is still included in all PSUs, as older fans etc can still use (as can pumps for custom loops etc). It's a dated connection, but still in use.

Nov 5, 2019
Sounds like coil whine - not inherently a problem, but far from ideal.

As for the PSU itself, I haven't seen any definitive review on it - and nothing on long-term reliability or truly stressing it under load/temps etc.
Based on track record, I wouldn't think it's particularly good.
AeroCool units are usually from HEC or Andyson, and built to a pricepoint.

From what I can see, that specific unit retails for comfortably <50quid in the UK.
A competitor unit in the 700W range, of known, proven quality & reliability typically retails for >80quid.
Some examples: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/JfBrxr,Tsbkcf,Zzkj4D,6Y66Mp/

So, while price alone doesn't necessarily confirm anything, if you can sell an offering for 50-60% of what your larger scale competitors can do.... You know they've cut corners somewhere.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. Thanks for replying. I saw some reviews on Amazon complaining about the same things, so probably just a junk PSU brand I guess.

Nov 5, 2019
Something like a Corsair CX would be an excellent unit for a budget price point.

What are the components in your system

Very true.... Here are the components.

Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Intel Core i7 4930K
2 X 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Nvidia GTX960 (soon will upgrade to 1660 Super)
CoolerMaster 240 Lite Liquid cooler
SanDisk Ultra 240GB SSD
Western Digital Red 1TB
Sharkoon Pure Steel RGB (4 X 120mm)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
130W CPU, 125W GPU (1660S).... Some overhead for overclocking, a 550W unit is more than enough.
Arguably 450W could be fine, and I'd rather have something like a CX450 over that AeroCool unit, but 550W would be ideal.

Based on your name, I'm assuming you're in the UK.
Cheapest good quality units I can find in the UK are:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/FQ648d,dDH48d,zBfmP6/

Reactions: joephillipsuk
Nov 5, 2019
550w is all you need
130W CPU, 125W GPU (1660S).... Some overhead for overclocking, a 550W unit is more than enough.
Arguably 450W could be fine, and I'd rather have something like a CX450 over that AeroCool unit, but 550W would be ideal.

Based on your name, I'm assuming you're in the UK.
Cheapest good quality units I can find in the UK are:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/FQ648d,dDH48d,zBfmP6/

So I had a Corsair CX550M delivered this morning, absolutely silent. About double the weight of the AeroCool, I guess heavy means quality! Happy man, just hoping they refund me for those two dodgy AeroCool pieces of junk.

Nov 5, 2019
Nice choice. Cx550m is a solid unit.

Givent the aerocool was rated for 150w more and is lighter is very frightening.

Indeed. I would say the Corsair unit is at least doulble the weight. You can tell from it's appearance its a far superior unit, I feel a bit stupid for going for something so cheap in the first place. Looking forward to reassembling the build tonight with a PSU which doesn't make my ears ring!

TRENDING THREADS