AEROCOOL STRIKE-X 600W.Enough to power a 1070?

Nov Seyer

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I bought this Psu about 2 years ago without knowing its crappy.
So my only concerned here is if it can power the GTX 1070 properly.I don't consider upgrading it till next year or so because I recently got a 1440p monitor.

My specs:
Intel Core i7 4790
8Gb ram
Zotac Gtx 970
1x 1TB HDD
1x 256 SSD
2x 90mm led fans
1x 120mm led fan.

Solution

All PSUs are required to have protections. The question is how good these protections actually are. You'll find that in pretty much every power supply the UVP and OVP protection limits are set far too high or low in that damage can definitely be done before they even kick in. There is also no ripple protection, so if capacitors start dying the...

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED
it should work .. it worked with your GTX 970 Right and for long time ? it will work for GTX 1070 , it the same watt dont worry much .

It wont fry anything . it did not fry your current System.

it has

Protections: Over Current, Over Voltage, Over Wattage, Over Temperature and Short-Circuit protection

if it breaks , it will not hurt you pc ...

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

it has protection . if it breaks , it will only hurt itself . I respect your opinion . but This is not one of the no name Chinese power supplies . it passed Bronze testing as well.

it is just lower Quality and less life thats all . but if it breaks it will not fry the System. you just lose the unit .

I never seen OEM power in fry DELL machine in my Whole 20 years experience . only "no name" Chinese stuff do.

you are right it is bad , it BREAKS ... it DIES .. but it wont "fry" the PC

have a nice day :)

bignastyid

Titan
80 plus ratings are NOT a quality ratings and do not mean the psu is good quality. The Aerocool Strike X is made by Andyson who has one of the worst reputations in the PSU business. I would not trust the protection circuits on that unit.
Dell uses alot of Delta built units, and Delta is a decent psu manufacture(worlds better than Andyson). I have seen too many psus built by Andyson destroy systems to ever reccomend the use of one.

Nov Seyer

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
So should I just get a 980ti instead and invest on a better psu?Or just buy a 1070 and stick with this psu till next year?
In my country the gtx 980ti is way more cheaper than the 1070.
Gigabyte G1 - $426.32
Zotac Gtx 1070 Amp - $532.32(The one im planning to buy)
Asus Strix Gtx 1070 - $586.85

So what's my best option here?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Df6snWfd1v7M&ved=0ahUKEwjW_vGX3qvOAhVHziYKHSMMDeAQtwIIHjAB&usg=AFQjCNEEGvShTGHLwRbILoZOieMJsbP5OA&sig2=VIIB3vv9rsFDOx31E_-udg

Answer enough. Get a new psu. Cheap insurance. You can look up all sorts of failures from psu related issues, things like motherboard failures, gpu frying from crappy voltage regulation, protections that are listed as being there on the psu but won't engage because the settings are too high (think a 30Amp breaker on a 15Amp circuit) etc. Crap is crap no matter what the box says.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

if you cant wait for prices to go down , get the GTX 980 Ti ... it is a very good card .

GTX1070,GTX 1080 are on high demand now , it will take few months for their prices to go down.

All PSUs are required to have protections. The question is how good these protections actually are. You'll find that in pretty much every power supply the UVP and OVP protection limits are set far too high or low in that damage can definitely be done before they even kick in. There is also no ripple protection, so if capacitors start dying the ripple can cause damage to the computer. Then it probably lacks any form of overtemperature protection, even if it states it has it I'm sure it's a lie since a supervisor IC with overtemperature protection costs the manufacturers more money and a thermistor is also necessary for this protection to work.

Solution

Nov Seyer

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

Thanks for this answer.I also live in the Philippines.
So this should be enough to power my entire system with a 980ti?
It's a no brainer here in our country to buy a 1070 over 980ti considering the price of the 1070.