Afford to buy/build a gaming computer

Nov 27, 2018
Hello! I am 14 years old, and I want to buy/build a gaming PC, I have used a crappy HP laptop forever now, it can only run Minecraft in 20 fps, CS:GO in like 40, and Skyrim in like 40, and all is with the lowest graphics and mods to help. And it takes about 30 minutes for the laptop to start. And now I can't do it anymore, I really need a better computer. I have read other threads with people with the same problem, and they get tips like, do chores around the house, or help your neighbours shovel snow, etc. But the problem is, my mom can't afford to give me money for helping around the house, and I live in the middle of the city, so I can't help my neighbours with anything, and I have no stuff worth selling. I already have mouse, keyboard, and monitor, the PC is all that I need. The games I'm planning to play is Minecraft, Skyrim, CS:GO, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky. And then more games as they come out. What is a cheap PC/build and how can I make money? I would do almost anything
Thanks in advance!

Edit: Thanks for all the tips! I've looked at your recomendations for PC parts and made a list of all the parts I need, it cost 769$, but now the hard part, to actually get the money, any tips?

Nov 27, 2018

As cheap as possible. Most casual gaming PC:s cost around 1000$ , but for me it would take like 5 years to get that much money

kenai1966

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
Although I can't advise on how you could earn some extra $$ as I am in the UK, however my son is not much older than you and his very first gaming PC he built himself. He watched a few YouTube videos like "build budget gaming PC under $400 (or whatever your budget ) ..also maybe checkout any budget gaming builds on https://pcpartpicker.com/ (you can find plenty of build your own gaming PC tutorial vids)
Also buying used gaming systems you can a lot more for your cash, which may include a monitor and extras included in the price. You can buy a cheap gaming PC which gives you an acceptable fps / medium graphics until you can afford (or gradually save up some $) a more expensive gaming system.
Maybe check out the cheaper Ryzen 5 apu's (the graphic card is built into the actual cpu so saves on buying a standalone graphics card) or my son's friend has a FX8350 with a GTX 750Ti and it bought it extremely cheap & seems to perform well for his needs until he can save up for a better system.
Anyway, good luck with it,, I'm sure someone maybe able to offer cheap solutions ;-)

nomad_00

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
so for the CPU I would go with AMD just because its more cheaper. but with Intel its better quality om amazon I got a i3-8100 for 118$ but now its 115 and it has 3.6 GHz which is good for gaming. for the RAM I would choose something at leastthan 8GB (4GB per stick ) in two sticks. so for somthing cheap and 8Gb here is some good quality RAM such as this (it's on sale and I would get it because of that)(Newegg is a trustable site I highly recommend it) as for the mother bord I would do the Gigabyte gaming wifi z370 it has RGB, good quality, and is less than 150 bucks (and it has DDR4). for the case find one with good fans and circulation for a cheap price (I got mine in the same website for 25$) you definitely have to spend a 100 on an OS such as Windows 10, and as for the graphics i would get a GTX 1050 to 1080 also on sale or one with high range and 4 to 8 GB to in total 450 to 800 bucks. depends on the GPU to give you qualaty (mostly)

the monitor I would work out on your own,
PS this won't play you the highest settings but it will be able to play most game pretty well games(depends on GPU)
PPS still research about this get more opinions

edit- you can get linix as an OS (its free!) but some game/programs dont work on it. also get stuff refurbished, its cheaper, and has a more likely chance not to be broken than a new one. cool huh?

if this realy helped put that i solved this by cliking the button so people don't anser/do it for nothing, but if you want more opinions don't.

ohenryy

Honorable
Don't over spend if you cant afford. This will do amazing job at 1080p max settings.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qjbftg
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qjbftg/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Monoprice)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill - CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: ViewSonic - VX2257-MHD 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($109.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Zalman - ZM-K380 Combo Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($13.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $832.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-27 20:12 EST-0500

Wolfshadw

Titan
There are other things you can help your neighbors with other than shoveling snow. Think dog walking or physical labor (help moving things like furniture) Maybe you could help with a painting project. Of course, only offer these services to people you or your family knows and trusts.

-Wolf sends

Nov 27, 2018

Here where I live, it's very rare that neighbours knows and trust each other.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($42.99 @ Newegg Business)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($26.96 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $555.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-28 15:18 EST-0500