Question Affordable Routers

suijuris

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Guys-

I am looking for a good affordable router that can prioritize a certain computer on its network. My internet service does not have a lot of bandwidth and when my family is trying to watch roku my ping goes from like 50ms to 200ms on games.. I have a belkin router, it has some automatic prioritization but it sucks. Any ideas?

Ralston18

Titan
Quantify "affordable".

What is your budget?

Most home routers have limited QoS (Quality of Service) capabilities with regards to prioritization.

Another router may make little or no difference.

How much bandwidth is your ISP providing? Any sense of how much bandwidth you are actually getting?

Consider that a bad cable, splitter(filter), connection, or misconfigured device could be restricting/limiting bandwidth.

Check your cables and connections, look for signs of damage, corrosion, loose connections.

Key is to find and eliminate any existing issues or problems.

suijuris

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Quantify "affordable". $200 or so, maybe more if it's high probability to solve my problem... I can't get DSL in my area so any fix to my problem is certainly up for consideration

What is your budget? see above

Most home routers have limited QoS (Quality of Service) capabilities with regards to prioritization. yea, mine is like that apparently

Another router may make little or no difference. Yes, that's what I'm trying to determine before dropping cash on a new one, just don't know a lot about them.

How much bandwidth is your ISP providing? Any sense of how much bandwidth you are actually getting?
about 2Mps down, sucks I know it's 2020 and I don't live far from a major city, be nice to know how I can complain to FCC or something also, this situation I am in is ridiculous. I have lived in BFE before and had fine DSL. Had to move to a internet black hole near major metropolitan area to get screwed like this. >:/

Consider that a bad cable, splitter(filter), connection, or misconfigured device could be restricting/limiting bandwidth. My gaming comp I use is direct wired, TVs are wireless

Check your cables and connections, look for signs of damage, corrosion, loose connections.

Key is to find and eliminate any existing issues or problems.

TRENDING THREADS