Afraid of frying my cpu fx 9590 using mobo asrock 970a-g/3.1 and cooling corsair h100i v1

teachcaet

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018
Hi, I just bought a amd fx9590 and asrock 970a-g/3.1, my problem is.. is it ok I’m going to use back my corsair h100i v1 for cooling? I’m afraid to fry my new processor

I hope it was cheap as even a low end modern cpu beats the old FX9xxx across the board. The h100i isn’t the best for that inferno of a cpu. You will probably need to rig up extra cooling for the motherboard VRM’s and what psu do you have, AMD recommend 850+ Watts for the FX9xxx series.

Just run it and monitor temperatures, it will throttle if it gets too hot so you are unlikely to damage the cpu, you issue is getting it to run stable.

As far as i know, i think 970 series motherboard cannot handle FX9590 as the VRM's cannot handle it, they will overheat and toast themselves can you link the motherboard from manufacturers site? (Exact model)
What is your PSU?

I hope it was cheap as even a low end modern cpu beats the old FX9xxx across the board. The h100i isn’t the best for that inferno of a cpu. You will probably need to rig up extra cooling for the motherboard VRM’s and what psu do you have, AMD recommend 850+ Watts for the FX9xxx series.

But i agree, FX 9000 series are nuclear reactors. If that motherboard doesnt have VRM coolers, either buy off an ebay VRM heatsinks with coppper and stick them, that should help as airflow.
If you decide that you bought an hassle there are choices like i5-4th gen (which i recommend most of people) should handle better than FX. Im not saying that FX is crap but it can still handle games like PUBG and others (CS:GO GTA 5) without issue.
Well its outdated. (Bulldozer->Piledriver->Vishera)

Hi
That same board in my son's can handle an fx8350 with a slight oc before it throttles and causes occt errors @4.5ghz.
I used a cheap corner brace or corner bracket cut it down and drilled a hole for a longer bolt going through the lower corner of my exhaust fan and the stock wraith cooling fan mounted to that bracket.
It's partly over the cpu h100iv2 pump head and mostly over the Vrm's.
But i can only get 4..4ghz oc on it.
I hope your not planning on ocing it.
If you want to spend some more for cooling a good fan upgrade would be the noctua 3000 rpm 110cfm fans.
They are load on max but they DO push air through the rad.
Good luck

Yes i know that it says it can handle 220w but those vrm's are weak.
Just saying don't expect to oc it, and some other cooling options as we have the same aio except i put noctua fans on it.
Those stock corsair fans only push about 67cfm -the noctuas push 110cfm.
Also the 1 draw back on AIO coolers is the stock cpu fan pushed air over the vrm's is now gone.
So case depending a simple trip to a hardware store could solve that issuse.

teachcaet

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018
I have corsair 850 PSU and that mobo I bought says can handle fx9590. And one thing when I put my fx9590 into my old motherboard(asus m5a97 which is not compatible), my h100i tube(I think the outgoing) is getting hot and hot but not the other tube.

teachcaet

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018
I monitored my cpu temperature that day when I installed it to my old incompatible mobo, 39c in idle and 40c-60c when I open my pubg. Then after that my PC will freeze.

It still will need a fan blowing on the vrm's which was taken away with the AIO INSTALL. For under $10.00 for the corner bracket and bolts, nuts,washers from any hardware store will help cool the vrm's.
If the cpu came with the wraith cooler take the fan off of it to put on the bracket if not get a 80mm fan and use it.

As far as the h100iv2 fan upgrade would push more air though the rad= more cooling depending where you buy the noctua's about $52.00 for 2 or cheaper fans but make sure they push more cfm then the stock corsair fans.

Now that Ryzen is out mobo company's aren't putting out high end fx boards that can handle that cpu. If you find 1 it will cost hundreds of $$$ for new, with any thing used being buyer beware.
The 970 boards just have weak vrm's period and sadly about the only fx boards left to grab.
I will be back home in 5 days if you want i will send you some pics of the fan setup i have for the vrm's.

Also did you plug the 3pin connector from the pump into the cpu header if so in the asrock axtu mobo utility make sure in fan control settings the cpu fan is set to 10
And temp set @1 for lowest temp
That will make sure the fan header gets proper voltage to the pump.
Please keep us advised.
Good Luck

teachcaet

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018
Can anyone tell me what brand is a good water cooling like corsair h100i that can handle fx9590 but not that expensive?

And yes please so I can probably do what you did to your son’s PC.

I really need some advise about cpu, I messed up when I bought the fx9590 I didn’t see the reviews about heating I should’ve probably buy intel for lowest wattage lowest temp and a little bit core speed.

Hi again
Was the backplate loose when you added the standoffs to secure the backplate?
If so use 2 nylon washers on each backplate peg that goes through the mobo the secure with the standoffs.
I had that problem with my son's
Which caused the pump head to not make good contact.
Also I use Thermaltake TG7 paste. I haven't had any good results from corsair paste or tape they use, along with the other brands I have tried including Ic Diamond.
Hope to hear soon how it going.
I Will be waiting to hear good news.