afraid of gpu temperature

Apr 6, 2018
Hello all. Need some experience exchange about temperature management.

One year ago I buy PC without videocard. I disable all computer case fans, set CPU cooler fan to 300 rpm (I use thermalright macho direct), and use it around one year. Also, I insert wires from power block fan into motherboard, and set it rotation speed to 300 rpm. Computer was super silent, CPU temperature around 40 C. Two months ago I buy msi 1070 gpu. This card is silent, but when it become 60C, coolers start to work. But look like it was not enough, because I disable all fans inside my computer case, and after one or two hours, it make computer case air hot, and I found that CPU become around 60, GPU around 70. So, I remove side panel from computer case, and look like it work fine now (actually, I make hole in side panel and cover it by this mesh http://chermetprokat.ru/img/setka-shtukaturnaya.jpg).

Also, around one month ago I make almost same PC for my relatives, but motherboard was Gigabyte Z370 HD3P. North bridge on this motherboard is hot. Really. So, I remove side panel, and temperature become good. But yesterday I insert there MSI Geforce GTX 1060 Armor 6GB GDDR5. North bridge is under videocard, no computer case fans. Also, I set small RPM in msi afterburner, because by default this videocard start coolers on max speed after card reach 50C. After one hour I feel smell of burnt plastic. I turn off PC, check everything, it looks good, nothing was damaged, but after it I set fan speed more fast RPM, and look like problem was solved. It is silent when you did not play, little bit noisy when play, but temperature is around 55.

So, is there anybody who do something like that, and is there any opinions about safety? What the normal temperature for computer case? Should I enable computer case fans, if there is no side panel?

Solution
Yes you should keep the case fans running, you can always use resistors to run them slower. Many components are reliant on some airflow, like the chipset and VRMs on the motherboard.

These adapters have a resistor built in to run the fans at a lower quieter speed:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-na-src7-4-pin-pwm-low-noise-adaptors-3-pack-fg-030-nc.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZzWBRD2ARIsAIPenY04XgjY-y9pEH8XqbVS7_vUqOD-CvJKcCNOV_tqZBQo5JCe1tmbw7YaAjQTEALw_wcB

Or you can just get quieter fans.

Its not so much of an issue with the side panel off, but I wouldnt recommend that as its easy for something inside to be broken by accident.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yes you should keep the case fans running, you can always use resistors to run them slower. Many components are reliant on some airflow, like the chipset and VRMs on the motherboard.

These adapters have a resistor built in to run the fans at a lower quieter speed:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-na-src7-4-pin-pwm-low-noise-adaptors-3-pack-fg-030-nc.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZzWBRD2ARIsAIPenY04XgjY-y9pEH8XqbVS7_vUqOD-CvJKcCNOV_tqZBQo5JCe1tmbw7YaAjQTEALw_wcB

Or you can just get quieter fans.

Its not so much of an issue with the side panel off, but I wouldnt recommend that as its easy for something inside to be broken by accident.

Solution
Apr 6, 2018
I add fan to side panel, it blow directly on videocard and north bridge. Small RPM, 14sm fan. Want to add button to be able turn it off in OS mode, and on when play games. Thanks guys.