Question GTX 280 freezes games?

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
Hi! Ok... sorry for the not very clear title, I'll explain further!
So, I've got a GTX 280. By now it's 14 years old and I wanted to see if it still worked. It started fine, I booted into Windows and installed the latest available drivers for the GTX 280. But when I played CSGO for 5 - 10 minutes, the game suddenly artifacted like crazy for a quarter of second and then the game just froze on a white screen.
The artifacts were triangles and had different colours, it looks weird. The same happened in GTA 5. But that took longer to artifact(maybe 15 - 20 minutes) and instantly after just froze on a white screen.

So... Is there a way for me to fix this? Is the card really dead?
Personally I think it's a vram problem. I mean... It's artifacting. Seems like a vram problem to me. But I'm no expert... That's why I'm asking :D
Thanks in advance!

Edit: It's an EVGA Superclocked GTX 280. And when I'm starting the system the card gives quite a loud whine.

Last edited:

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
Sounds like its getting too hot
MSI Afterburner showed around 60c, which I find hard to believe because it's a blower style card. HWInfo also showed me 60c and the vrm didn't get that hot either.
I've got the card almost disassembled, there's only one screw that's just super stuck...
I hope you're right tho!