[SOLVED] After 10 years its time to upgrade...

Jul 11, 2021
Hi guys (and girls).

I have decided that it is time to upgrade my current system after 10 or so years of

I am currently running the following:
  • i7 3770
  • GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • 2x 16GB of DDR2 (i think) Ram?
  • 1TB SSD
  • 4TB HDD
  • Jonsbo UMX 3 case
  • 720W PSU
  • Wifi Card
I mainly use it as my work computer running Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere plus a bit of light gaming on an ultrawide monitor 3440 x 1440 @ 144hz. Mainly FIFA 21, CS:GO, Asetto Corsa, GTA 5 plus a few more.

I am thinking about the following parts with small form factor and relatively quiet operation in mind:
  • Ryzen 5800x
  • Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX AM4 Mini ITX
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz C16 Ram
  • Cooler Master NR200 Mini ITX Case
  • Cooler Master 650W Gold SFX PSU
  • Same 1TB SSD
  • Might move the HDD to an external enclosure with USB C connection.
  • Graphics Card i can't bring myself to pay the inflated prices, but would go for a 3060 or 3070 when they become more affordable, so will continue to use the 1060 for now.
Does the above sound like a half decent setup or should i swap out certain components. I opted for the 5800x over the 5600x as more cores should come in handy with Premiere and other applications?

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
a 5800X based system is likely a very good choice! ( I'd even consider a 5900X were I in your shoes if budgetarily feasible)

I would, however, abandon any mini/micro-case aspirations, and use at least an adequate sized mid-tower ATX (Corsair 100R/200R, or similar?) so as to allow a decent cooling solution....

The GTX1060 still provides relatively adequate 1080P gaming at decent to modest frame rates! (I should know, I am still using one daily!)
a 5800X based system is likely a very good choice! ( I'd even consider a 5900X were I in your shoes if budgetarily feasible)

I would, however, abandon any mini/micro-case aspirations, and use at least an adequate sized mid-tower ATX (Corsair 100R/200R, or similar?) so as to allow a decent cooling solution....

The GTX1060 still provides relatively adequate 1080P gaming at decent to modest frame rates! (I should know, I am still using one daily!)

Solution
I also think a mid-tower case with proper airflow is a better choice than a mini. I would look in to something like the LianLi Lancool 2 or a Meshify 2.

You'll also want to invest in a proper CPU cooler like a Noctua NH D-15 (another reason to move away from a mini) as a smaller cooler will be very noisy in a system running heavy CPU loads.

On the SSD side I would recommend an NVME 3.0 drive as the drive you write project files to. A normal SSD is fine for the OS and applications themselves.

Last edited:
Here is an article on recommended photoshop components.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations
5800X seems like a good recommendation.
Ryzen 5000 series and intel 11th gen have improved performance per clock which is recommended. When in doubt, and budget permits, opt for the better choice.
The price hurts only for a little while.
You will avoid future second guessing about the choice.

One thing to upgrade, perhaps is the amount of ram you need when processing large documents.
Get more than you think you may need if you can.

Love those ITX systems.

Performance from a m.2 pcie drive looks great in synthetic benchmarks, but you will hardly notice the difference.
Still, I recommend one. Samsung is my go to ssd.
You seem to have the budget.
Space in a ITX case is hard to come by.

Jul 11, 2021
Thanks for all your help. I have been doing a ton of research and have tweaked my parts list slightly.

I know that the 5800x is a hot CPU and the NR200 isn't the best case for cooling due to its form factor,
but i am not planning on overclocking and with the mesh side panel and the Noctua cooler, i should be able to keep things reasonable?

Updated parts list:

• Ryzen 5800x
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz C18 Ram
  • Noctua NH-U12A tower cooler
  • Arctic P12 Case Fans - bottom intake, top exhaust.
Thinking of replacing my current 1TB SSD with a 1TB nvme m.2 Samsung 980 and while i'm at it i should replace my 4TB WD Black HDD drive as well?

Seems a bit crazy to go with a 4TB nvme m.2 for storage, but prices are actually similar to SSDs, speeds are much higher and i can have a few cables less in the case? Will just hurt the wallet...

I am trying to get this build as quiet as possible and the WD Black is the noisiest component of my current build.

What do you guys think?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for all your help. I have been doing a ton of research and have tweaked my parts list slightly.

I know that the 5800x is a hot CPU and the NR200 isn't the best case for cooling due to its form factor,
but i am not planning on overclocking and with the mesh side panel and the Noctua cooler, i should be able to keep things reasonable?

Updated parts list:

• Ryzen 5800x
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz C18 Ram
  • Noctua NH-U12A tower cooler
  • Arctic P12 Case Fans - bottom intake, top exhaust.
Thinking of replacing my current 1TB SSD with a 1TB nvme m.2 Samsung 980 and while i'm at it i should replace my 4TB WD Black HDD drive as well?

Seems a bit crazy to go with a 4TB nvme m.2 for storage, but prices are actually similar to SSDs, speeds are much higher and i can have a few cables less in the case? Will just hurt the wallet...

I am trying to get this build as quiet as possible and the WD Black is the noisiest component of my current build.

What do you guys think?
That CPU cooler will not fit.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I'm not a huge small form factor. Midsize ATX is great (lot better air flow)

I like full ATX boards (see above).

Look at crucial cl16 3600mhz (no sense in getting 3200 virtually same price)
Check the TBW on your current drive (I bet its fine). if budget alllows I would get a new NVME for the boot drive 500 or 1TB.
Same video card?
I would go at least 750watt for future video card upgrades. (personally I would go 850 or 1000). 1k watt if your planning on the next 10 years.

Good luck!

Jul 11, 2021
I'm not a huge small form factor. Midsize ATX is great (lot better air flow)

I like full ATX boards (see above).

Look at crucial cl16 3600mhz (no sense in getting 3200 virtually same price)
Check the TBW on your current drive (I bet its fine). if budget alllows I would get a new NVME for the boot drive 500 or 1TB.
Same video card?
I would go at least 750watt for future video card upgrades. (personally I would go 850 or 1000). 1k watt if your planning on the next 10 years.

Good luck!

I would upgrade to a 3060 or 3070, but am not willing to pay the inflated priced at the moment, so will hold out until priced come down and stick to my 1060 for now :)

And yes, am getting 3600 mhz ram.

Still undecided on what to do with storage. I have a ton of images and videos on the HDD that i access somewhat frequently and it has been eye opening to see the speeds of M.2 drives compared to both SATA SSDs and HDDs..

They are pricey though in large capacities, so will do a bit more research to see if its that noticeable in daily work flows in Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere...

Endre

Reputable
Hi guys (and girls).

I have decided that it is time to upgrade my current system after 10 or so years of

I am currently running the following:
  • i7 3770
  • GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • 2x 16GB of DDR2 (i think) Ram?
  • 1TB SSD
  • 4TB HDD
  • Jonsbo UMX 3 case
  • 720W PSU
  • Wifi Card
I mainly use it as my work computer running Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere plus a bit of light gaming on an ultrawide monitor 3440 x 1440 @ 144hz. Mainly FIFA 21, CS:GO, Asetto Corsa, GTA 5 plus a few more.

I am thinking about the following parts with small form factor and relatively quiet operation in mind:
  • Ryzen 5800x
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz C16 Ram
  • Same 1TB SSD
  • Might move the HDD to an external enclosure with USB C connection.
  • Graphics Card i can't bring myself to pay the inflated prices, but would go for a 3060 or 3070 when they become more affordable, so will continue to use the 1060 for now.
Does the above sound like a half decent setup or should i swap out certain components. I opted for the 5800x over the 5600x as more cores should come in handy with Premiere and other applications?

Thanks for your help :)

I’d wait for another 6 months.
Intel releases Alder Lake (DDR5 & PCIe 5.0) and AMD will release a new platform as well.
Nvidia might release the RTX 40 series.
The parts that you want to buy right now will be cheaper in 6 months.

Jul 11, 2021
Hi all,

i did end up ordering a NR200 and had some fun building a new PC from scratch again.

IMG-1816.jpg

Parts:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5800x
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 I Aorus PRO AX
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) 3600Mhz Ram
  • Cooler Master 650W 80 Plus Gold SFX PSU
  • 2 Samsung SSDs ( 1x 1TB, 1x 4TB)
  • Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
  • 4 Arctic P12 case fans
  • GPU is still my trusty old GTX 1060. Will go with a ASUS TUF RTX 3060 Ti once they become a bit cheaper and available ( might be a long wait...). Supposedly one of the better / quieter 3060 Tis and for the gaming that i do will be more than sufficient.
Not the prettiest cable management, but the extra cables for the SSD are a bit tricky to bend out of the way nicely. Currently no cables are blocking the air flow, and its not a tempered glass side panel, so care factor pretty low... When i get the new GPU i might invest in a sleeved cable set and try to clean everything up a bit more.

IMG-1817.jpg

And as someone commented that the NH-U12A doesn't fit, here is proof:

IMG-1819.jpg

I can close the mesh side panel without issue and it is not bulging or touching as far as i can tell from the outside. I believe this is not possible with the tempered glass panel

Overall i am very happy with the build. It is silent when idling and temps for GPU and CPU are in the low 30s.